Friday 15 October 2010

Jan Modaal

We have some friends whom we have known for a long time who lead very normal lives. They live in a semi, they have two children, boy & girl. He has a fulltime job, she has a part time job. Their children have grown up seemingly without a ripple. To my eye they have led peaceful and enjoyable lives and have produced two exemplary children. Jan Modaal & family (John Average), if you wish.

I have long admired their world and have said many times to Marion that I wished I could have lived my life in the same way. Contrast with our lives, the highs and lows: divorce, selling our businesses, remarriage, leukemia I, building a new business, leukemia II, death of a child, to name but a few things. Marion just laughed at me everytime I said that I wish I could have lived a quieter life as the neighbour of Jan Modaal: three kids, huisje, boompje, beestje and camping holidays in the summer. She said that it would be like a lion trying to live like a bunny. Ha, we laughed, ridiculous!

But maybe not so ridiculous. I might have said this before, but for many years Marion & I have felt that "the light at the end of the tunnel is actually the next train coming". Everytime we got through one problem, everytime we thought that we'd reached the end of a tunnel another problem would hit us squarely between the eyes (sorry, mixing my metaphores again). The last 15 years or so seem to have been nothing but one long battle with a series of non-trival problems. Indeed, one can argue that some problems have been of our own making. But equally I think that what we have experienced in general puts us so far away from the mean, so far out on the edge of the bell curve, that I'm often left wondering if there's not some meaning in it.

Well, I guess that there are two points of view. The agnostic statisticians amongst you will no doubt be arguing that someone has to be at the extreme end of the bell curve, otherwise it would have no meaning. They would say that the fact that it happens to be me/us living there is merely bad luck, not least because statistics don't apply to individuals.

I would say that that sounds like a very rational explanation. But then I'd argue about just how damned wide this bell curve is and at what point can one conclude that one's experience is so many standard deviations removed from Jan Modaal that one actually lies outside the bell curve and in Job territory. Certainly that's how this all feels to me.

We lie in bed at night and we ask ourselves, why us? What did we do to deserve to lose Kay? What have we done wrong? Where in our lives could we have made a different decision that would have led to Kay being with us now? Why did Kay's leukemia come back when it's practically unheard of for a relapse to happen after so many years? Is there perhaps something wrong with where we live? Xenon gas, heavy metals in the ground? If we'd moved somewhere else when Kay was born would things have gone differently? Etc, bloody etc.

(I just post-added the point about Kay's leukemia relapse, I'd forgotten that one incredible piece of injustice until I reread this text. If you want to know just how far away from the bell curve we are, consider that one fact. Then factor it in to everything else and I don't see how one can possibly avoid the conclusion that we're being dumped on).

But then actually these questions can be broadened: why have we spent so many years facing so many problems? Why have we been consistently tested, time after time? Why have we had to pay the ultimate price? Should we have lain down somewhere along the way and played dead to fate? Stuck our paws in the air and let life roll over us? Should the lion have read the message in the wind and taken up living like a bunny?

There are matters of belief and deity wrapped up in all this but what concerns me here is how to approach the future? What can be concluded from the last 15 years? What should I do differently in the future? How can I try to ensure that we have seen the last of tunnels and trains?

One thing is for sure. Marion & I have reached some kind of upper limit on the amount of negative stuff that we can take. The idea that I'm fated in some way to continue living such an extremely unfortunate life is more than I can possibly take. (And before anyone starts pointing out that the word "unfortunate" hardly applies to someone sitting in his second house in the south of France, let me point out to you in the STRONGEST possible terms that I would swap EVERYTHING to live as Jan Modaal with Marion, Kay, Nattie & Lauren).

Of course, as usual, no answers are to be found anywhere. And this scares me stupid, because we're going to continue blundering along without having learnt anything really important from our lives. How can we know if we've made a mistake? How can we learn if we don't know? How can we avoid repeating the mistake?

I've not really heard Kay clearly in my mind for a while. It's worrying me, has she gone from me? Will I not hear her again? I assume that I'm too deeply buried in grief for her to reach me clearly. But the last time that she 'spoke' to me she told me that Marion & I should rest and that she would look after us. I hope that this means that she will smooth out the future for us, that the price that we have paid by losing her means that no more will we have to battle with tunnels and trains. 

Kay, if you're listening, I could really do with hearing from you right now. I'm not really resting my darling and I could do with hearing you in my head, if not feeling you in my arms.

5 comments:

  1. So much pain, so many questions.

    So much love for all of you.

    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob,

    As I was reading this, the song started playing in my head again,"Everthing I Own." I know how you feel. I have no answers for you, only words, only empathy. I have been on this path longer than you and Marion. I have had anger, sadness, panic, depression. You did NOT do anything to have caused all that has happened and certainly Kay did not.

    One thing that I will say with conviction is that Kay is in a beautiful place where there is no more pain. She feels only warmth and love. My son Chip is in that same place. I have seen Chip in my dreams where he comes at times to comfort me. Keep your mind and heart open.....

    With love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beste Rob,

    Misschien kan je Kay nu niet horen omdat je hoofd zo vol zit met al je gedachten en vragen. Het is ook zo ongelofelijk oneerlijk verdeeld in de wereld. Ik begrijp er ook helemaal niets van waarom dit alles jullie moet overkomen. Het klopt gewoon niet. Jullie hebben voor Kay alles gedaan wat in je macht lag.

    Probeer van dag tot dag te leven als survival. Hou je mind helder zodat je Kay straks kan horen. Ze komt weer naar je toe dat weet ik zeker. Ik wens je een goede nachtrust.

    Big hug.
    Lfs Bettine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognise your friends situation, i.e. small semi,exemplary children, caravan holidays etc.--- and just wonder. Do you think those children will want to do better than their parents---using their strengths, determination and hard work to achieve their dreams and having got there wish they were back where they started> No Rob, because what they achieve can be used as in your case , in spreading the Love and helping the dreams of others to come true. your generosity has not gone unnoticed--but Fate has dealt you a terrible blow and your resentment is very understandable. Try not to dwell on it and think of happier days. Love Mum. P.S. Keep on cycling and listen to Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh Rob, i can so relate to your feelings of "why me?" and "why us?" and the envy of others whose lives appear to be easy and flawless. I have rheumatoid arthritis and autonomic neuropathy and walk with a brace. I can't ride a bike or hike or dance. my sister has advanced MS and can't move any part of her body except her head. My brother has kidney disease. i can't tell you how often I am jolted by the thought "how did this happen??" I've been divorced twice--me, who was meant to have one solid marriage forever. I'm my sole financial support in a scary economy in a scary occupation. i envy my friends with financial security, health and long loving relationships. yet I don't for a minute think there is a cosmic reason for my problems or their lack of them. Crappy genes, a few crappy decisions and crappy luck. George Michael showed wisdom when he said there are two types of people in the world--those who have experienced loss and those who haven't, yet. You'll be there for those friends if and when their losses come, because you'll know how to comfort them.

    I spend a lot of time counting my blessings. My unhealthy siblings are also the most loving and supportive siblings anyone could ask for. I have money in the bank and a partner who is always there for me (he too has serious chronic illness, so he “gets” me) and amazing friends. All that said, I have never lost a child, and that trumps everything.

    During one of my periods of being single, I saw an acquaintance with her new boyfriend. they were blissful and lovely together, and while I was happy for her, I was also envious and I mentioned that envy to another friend who said, "that's your insides looking at their outsides." Very wise statement, and one I keep in mind when I think someone else has the perfect life. (the acquaintance and her friend broke up the following week).

    I'm through rambling for this morning! The iPad makes it so hard to edit, so I'll let this messy comment go through as is. May Karma be good to you today!

    ReplyDelete