Sunday 31 October 2010

Back Home

We're back home after a long and tiring drive, yesterday. Thanks goes to Frank for taking the hard way home and splitting the driving with me, I don't think I could have done it in one go on my own.

Back home, it is dark and raining and miserable, a full wet autumn seems to be in progress. Difficult to remember that on Friday we were sitting outside sweating from the direct heat of the sun.

My first impression of being home is that the weight of depression is heavier here. Lying in bed his morning it felt like I was being pressed deeper into the mattress by it. The odd thing is that it almost seems like the extra weight is coming from outside me. I don't feel that I'm any more depressed than in France, but it seems that either the depression that I have weighs more here or that there's an additional external source. Whatever, it's more difficult to 'be' here than in France, though France was difficult enough at times.

And then there's Kay's bedroom. The last time I was here I experienced meltdown #1 by entering her bedroom and lying on her bed. Her door's been shut since we got home and now I almost fear what is behind that door. Everytime I walk past it I get a pulse of pain and fear. I've had more panic attacks since we got home than in the preceding days. So all in all, in the 15 hours that ive been home everything has felt much more difficult. But I still feel the sun in my bones and the pleasure of good company which, as long as it lasts, lightens the sense of depression and the impact of the panic attacks.

Tomorrow I suppose that we have to start the process of re-entering everyday life. Nattie has to go back to school, my work needs attention and I have important meetings to attend. Marion has a backlog of administration. I don't know how hard or easy this will be, I don't feel that I've made much progress towards to goal of being at peace with Kay's death. When I look at all the beautiful photos of her and the girls that I hung up France she seems just as real to me as Lauren or Nattie. It still seems that she will walk in the door laughing at some joke or something that has just happened. It cannot be possible that she is not HERE in the same way as Lauren or Nat.

Sunday mornings Marion and I like to get an occasional lie-in. Kay would always come into our bed early and cuddle up with us (something Nattie never does). But after a while of wriggling and chatting we'd throw her out so that we could enjoy some peace. She would stomp out of our bedroom, head back, shoulders back, long hair trailing down her back, under huge protest and complaining that we just wanted her out so we could "do some sexing".

Oh how I miss her. My pictures cry out to me that she should be just here. Not gone forever.

4 comments:

  1. "She would stomp out of our bedroom, head back, shoulders back, long hair trailing down her back, under huge protest and complaining that we just wanted her out so we could "do some sexing". "


    Even though I feel sad about losing Kay, this sure made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rob,
    My heart goes out to you as you all move into yet another phase - it's bad enough just coming back after 3 weeks sun without facing a different life.
    Take it gently and try to be kind to yourselves - it will be while before life adjusts to any kind of new normal.
    Keep writing for as long as it helps - you know there is a band of followers each wishing we could wave a magic wand and make it easier.
    Thinking of you all the time.
    Love and hugs
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard being inside the house with so many memories and it is hard to join back into the "outside world" which at times may feel imposing. Kay's bedroom door will beckon you and be hard to resist. You will recognize the times that you can go into her room and when you cannot. The panic attacks will come and go....take a deep breath and picture something which gives you peace. Try not to overwhelm yourself and take one day at a time.

    I speak from first hand experience, as you know.

    I am thankful that you can talk about the funny memories. It gives an inside view of Kay's cute personality.

    love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rob, just awful. I just feel so desparate for you both. I hope you can both get back into work. One step at a time though. Give my love to Marion. You are never out of our thoughts.

    Love Ali xxx

    massive thanks to wonderful Frank

    ReplyDelete