Thursday 28 October 2010

Flashback

Being in public for long periods is a challenge. I've mentioned this before but I seem to have forgotten the lesson. Yesterday when I was sitting in the aircraft at Schiphol, waiting to return here, I had a sudden and horrible flashback. I was back in Kay's intensive care room at the moment that she died.

I had a vivid and new recollection of how medical support was withdrawn from her and how this led to her death.

I remembered one doctor increasing the dose of coma medication to ensure that Kay was adequately sedated for what was to come.

I remembered how immediately after this life support from the ventilation equipment was decreased by the lead doctor, leading to Kay passing away.

I remembered being apecifically aware of the first step, I watched the doctor do it.

I remembered how I'd chosen to have my back to the life support monitors so that I could not see how her life signs faded away.

I remembered that the doctors had shut off all the alarms from the monitors so that we would not be frightened by them.

I remembered silence from the equipment at some point and looking up to meet the lead doctor's eyes and asking her if Kay had passed and the doctor affirming that she had.

I remembered thanking her and asking her to thank the rest of the ic staff.

I remembered then holding on to Lauren and dissolving.

I remembered all this while sitting in seat 4A of an largely full aircraft, surrounded by strangers. And I struggled hugely to control myself, not to suddenly burst into tears in front of all these people. It was very difficult but I must say that I used my iPad to deflect and distract me from these terrible thoughts. Playing Angry Birds for a little while, watching a couple of episodes of House, though this now brings with it it's own set of Kay related problems.

It had never occurred to me before that I could be sitting next to someone on a plane who was fighting off tears because they had just lost someone dear to them. If you think about it and then look around at the strangers that surround you on the train or plane, you cannot but see them in a whole new light. Could this business man here, with his laptop, iPad, iPhone and headset be on the point of dissolving into a puddle of salty water? Could his heart weigh as much as a Neutron Star? Could he not care less if the plane should crash and he die on impact?

There's obviously much more diversity immediately around us than I'd even started to consider.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rob,
    We're with you all the way. We walk every step with you... as do all your many friends, family and supporters. We will write you an email directly.
    Love Alison and Dom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frightening thought isn't it?
    Makes me think twice about speaking sharply if a stranger behaves rudely, slams a door or pushes in front of me - there's no knowing what other people are going through as they try to appear 'normal'.
    Hang in there Rob, you did amazingly to hold it together as your brain went wandering off like that! Brains do that - I'm sure you know, it's trying to file the memories in manageable chunks, but struggling, which is why you feel a bit out of control on occasions.
    Be kind to yourself and don't try to push too much to get to 'normal'.
    Loads of love and hugs coming over the ether to all of you.
    Hang on and have a peaceful day today.
    Much love
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ik vind het heel knap en mooi van je, hoe je de doktors bedankte, nadat Kay was overleden. Ik weet niet of veel mensen dit na hadden kunnen doen. Dit laat zien dat je een groot hart hebt, Rob.

    Ik hoop dat het snel beter met je gaat. Tot gauw

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think about this a lot--what the people around me might be going through. Especially people i take a dislike to. I try to feel myself in their skin and imagine what weight of the world they're carrying and it alters how i feel about evereyone around me. I love that you took that concept away with you from your experience on the plane, but sad that you had to relive those last moments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very hard memory for you to deal. "Shared grief is half the grief".....so they say. I know that it doesn't feel that way to you now, but getting your thoughts out in the open is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember queuing in Marks and Spaencer waiting to pay for someone's Christmas present several years ago.The woman in front of me had the most gorgeous handbag, so gorgeous I just had to tell her how much I liked it. In return she said "You have just made my day. Thankyou so much." That made me feel great, she had a huge smile on her face. I've no idea why it cheered her up so much, but I got such a nice reaction that I still often say complimentary things to people. Like you say, we don't know what sort day, week, year the person next to us is having.
    Take care.
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete