Tuesday 14 December 2010

The Drowning Sailor's Analogy

It occurred to me recently that Grief is a Sea and I'm adrift in it, without a boat, wearing only a deflated life jacket. There's a Perfect Storm raging and it's dark, there are huge waves, heavy rain and a howling wind.

The immediate struggle is to keep my head above water and thus my mind is largely occupied with survival. But I can't keep floating around out here forever, before long I'll run out of energy or the willpower to keep floating or both. Therefore I must find land.

But it's dark, raining and I'm being tossed around in the waves with no way to navigate and no idea where to find land. Every now and again a huge wave crashes down on me and I struggle not to drown in liquid sorrow.

In the quieter moments between the wave peaks I try to get more air into my life jacket so that I float more easily. If only I can let the life jacket do the work I might not be swamped by waves so often, might be able to think more clearly, might gain confidence in my chances of not losing everything, might be able to find some way to navigate to land.

This is featureless terrain and every clue helps. Being told that others have been this way before helps - at least one then knows that it is survivable. Being told that it takes 4-9 years to find land helps - at least one then knows that there's land out there somewhere. Talking to observers helps - they can spot an improvement in the conditions that can't be seen from the waterline.

But equally, no-one can swim for you, in the end you have to do it yourself.

6 comments:

  1. No-one can swim for you, but there are lots of us in there with you.
    Hang in there Honey! We are all swimming nearby, reaching out and trying to help you climb onto anything that might help you float.
    Land is coming into view from time-to-time. We are here to get you onto that land. And occasionally a ray of sunshine beams through the blackness - look at it and breathe it in - next time you sink, it will not be for such a long time.
    Now, if we continue the analogy, it's a jolly good thing these hugs are virtual - you would be pulled under by the weight...!
    Take care.
    Much love
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And following on from last night some where along the line you will need to trust the life jacket to do it's work, however weak, deflated and untenious it looks.
    With you all the way
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got teams of Search n Rescue all around the world looking out for you. Wherever you float to there will be someone to encourage, console and cajole you into action. At sea it is always darkest before the light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nicely put by Linda. Nothing to add, just letting you know that I'm still here, following you , Marion and Nattie.x lots of huggs sending your way. Ciel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe Nattie and Lauren are your islands in this sea, but I'm here to top up the air in your lifejacket!
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob, I just have to tell you that your writing, your words are so beautiful....sad, but beautiful.

    Yes, you will survive as I have. Yes, you will have to find your own way. I wish there were some other way.

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete