Wednesday 8 December 2010

A different phase?

Yesterday was a pretty black day for me. I found that whenever I was alone, tears came. I sat in the car driving from here to there, in tears. So I avoided being alone all day. 

I found that if I talked about Kay, tears came. So I avoided talking to anyone about anything to do with Kay. I spent the day trying to avoid being alone but trying to avoid any conversations about Kay. At the end of the day I was exhausted and finally, when I went to bed, grief took over.

Lying in bed, thoughts of Kay ran through my head. Suddenly something fresh occurred to me that shocked me, the feeling that I've described before, like sticking a finger in the mains socket. Then I realized that I've not had that 'shock' feeling for a few weeks. It's not so long ago that I was shocked 10 times a day by thoughts of Kay. It occurred to me then that perhaps Marion and I have moved into a new phase. Perhaps we have finally passed through the "shock phase" and now we're in the "deep grief phase", if there are such things as phases of grief.

It would certainly be an explanation of what is going on with us at the moment. For the last 10 days or so Marion has been more deeply upset than I've seen her so far. Or maybe I should say more continually deeply upset. Previously both of us have had moments of deep grief that lasted an hour or so. But it now seems that these periods last much longer. In the last few days I have begun to feel the same. The weight of grief that I'm carrying seems more constant and I feel much more tired than previously. Tears, surface or sub-surface, are a constant companion. Reading is difficult, as is concentrating.

So, I suppose the good news is that we're progressing, we're not stuck at some point that will lead us to remain sad people indefinitely. But on the other hand things are not better, just different. And also I feel a kind of regret that we're "leaving Kay behind", if you follow my meaning. We are moving on and we're leaving our lives as they were with Kay behind. Things are irrevocably changing, shifting, separating us from Kay, emphasizing that the only thing we have left is memories.

Esther told me today that a study of parents who had suffered the death of a child took between 4 - 9 years to recover their equilibrium. I like to know these things because it gives me a measure, even if the bad news is that we're facing many more years of 'inequilibrium'. The good news for you, dear reader, is that you get to enjoy my moaning and musings for a lot longer yet.   

10 comments:

  1. Dear Rob,

    I understand most of what you are saying & going through. The shock/panic feelings are hard to describe to anyone who has not "been there." As I was reading your blog, I recalled that some of my hardest grief came around 4 months after losing my son. So yes, there are different stages of grief, but in no set order. I also know the feeling that you are leaving your child behind.

    I wish I could say something to ease your mind. Just know that you are not alone.

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since we are all struggling to find ways to ease the pain for you and Marion then listening to your 'musing and moaning' as you put it is the least we can do.
    We want to help, just don't know how...
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moan and muse all you want. We your readers are not going anywhere! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, you're not leaving her behind. Really, you are not. Sending you love and strength. xxx

    Debbie, we'll also be thinking of you as Christmas approaches. If what Esther says is fact then you are also in the early days of this journey. Big hug to you too.

    Love, Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob,Try to believe that you are not leaving Kay behind. She is there in your heart and not just your memory. Many years ago ( I shan't give your age away !) , my grandmother Brooke, whom I revered, appeared to me and I told her I was pregnant. To this day I can see her in her chair saying to me " I know dear,and it's a boy !" From that day on, I never thought differently. She is still with me. By the way,at the time she had been gone 8 years. Always, your loving MumXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greetings from New York.

    I don't know what to say to your blog entries, so I'll just 'hi'.

    James

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you and Marion, always. And you too, Deb. Elizabeth Edwards died a couple of days ago-- an amazing woman, beloved in North Carolina, and she wrote about her son's death at 16, saying no other emotion compared to that pain. I'm so sorry you have to endure this.
    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Ali,

    Thank you for the kind words and thoughts. I need all the hugs I can get also.

    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lieve Rob, Ik vind het heel sterk en dapper van dat je je eigen rouwproces zo kan beschrijven en analyseren. Blijf schrijven op dit blog als het je helpt, we blijven trouw lezen. Dikke knuffel voor jou en Marion.

    Voor Debbie: I don't know you but I also sent you a big hug!

    lfs Bettne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Rob,
    Many hugs again.
    Much love
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete