Thursday 4 November 2010

Another Day, Another Airport

I guess I'm a slow learner. In this case I'm learning that airports are not the best place to be if you're feeling tired and depressed: I'm waiting at London Standsted for a flight back to Eindhoven. The place is heaving, I'm surrounded by people who are laughing and enjoying themselves while I feel like the black hole of joy. I guess I must be sucking all the life out of a circular space, or hemisphere, of radius 1.5 metres. All the other tables are full but this is the nearest that anyone is sitting to me. Actually, I must remember this trick in future: how to guarantee personal space in crowded place: look less happy than a Russian (there are miserable looking Russians (i assume from the language) on the nearest occupied table to me, but there are people sitting directly NEXT to them. What a badge of honour that is).

Anyway, my flight has been called so I have to run.

4 comments:

  1. Hope you get Home safe and sound to hug your loved ones who are waiting for you. I'm sending all my strenght and hugs to you, Marion and your girls. Marie-Cecile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get home safety Rob. I hope the meeting went well. Was it interesting? How is London looking from the air?

    Your description above brought images of Harry Potter into my head for some reason. I knew you were being attacked by the Dementors, but not turning into one. You need to learn a Patronus charm.

    Now on the subject of Patronus charms, I've been trying a little technique recently. Everytime a bad thought comes into my thoughts, I turn on a vision in my head. My vision is a beautiful valley, full of sunflowers, with a river running through it leading down to the sea. Everytime I have to turn the image on, I add more detail, there's now a pool of water, a shale river beach, a picnic hamper, a teathered kayak, a forest in the distance (populated by unicorns). And so it goes on. I am now trained very quickly at the first sign of a bad thought, to run to my valley, I'm there in a flash, adding birds or couloured flowers... Can I suggest you find your own picture to build? You never know it might work for you...

    Keep safe, all my love, Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the busiest of places can be the worse, hope you are soon home with your family
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Feeling lonely in a crowd is such a horrible feeling. Poor Rob. Hope you made it home to the comforting presence of people who care for you, without any delays this time.
    I forgot to take my phone out yesterday - and didn't have internet, (amazing, but it can happen and the world keeps functioning where I work!) but kept wondering if you were ok, knowing where you were for the day.
    Your blog friends are still thinking of you all the time - even when you feel completely alone.
    Massive ether hug and loads of love to all.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete