Tuesday 14 September 2010

Proof of the Nonexistance of God?

I've had a terrible day. The details are not relevant, but suffice it to say that shit seems to be piling up on top of shit. That Kay's situation is so bad I would have thought it should be enough trouble for any mortal soul. But I seem to be being targetted by some kind of black hole of misery. Independently of each other, two other problems have arisen. The synchronicity is absolutely unbelievable, I simply cannot get my head around the idea that so many things can go wrong at the same time.

I'd thought for sometime now that Kay's illness is evidence of the mindlessness of the universe. There's no logic to it, there's no rhyme or reason, there's just bad luck. Like most things that happen to people, this is just the expression of statistics. People get cancer, kids get cancer, some of them get leukemia, some of them get cured, some of them relapse, some of those that relapse get cured and some don't. A few end up in comas in intensive care. It's just statistics at work, no master plan, no creator fooling with our lives. There's no lesson in it except that shit happens, in reality as well as statistically.

But the events of today have begun to stretch this explanation. In Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams introduced the Babelfish - a creature that once introduced into your ear would translate any spoken language directly into brainwaves, thereby allowing you to understand anything spoken to you in any language. It was argued that the existance of the Babelfish was evidence of the nonexistance of God. The reasoning went like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "Because proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing". "Ah", says Man, "The Babelfish actually proves that you exist and therefore, by your own reasoning, you don't. QED".

The combination of recent events seems to me to be so bizarre, so fringe, so statistically unlikely and so personally targetted that either I'm a statistical freek or that I'm getting some very personal and unpleasant attention by some divinity. Perhaps in the future they'll open an anti-Lourdres in my name - come and visit and have your life turned to shit, your good health reversed. In fact, I'm starting to think that the Babelfish argument applies: I'm so blatently being "Job-ed" that this can only be evidence for the non-existance of God.

The thing is, I'm not going to give up. It's not worthing giving up. We've come so damn far, we've been through so much, we're never going to quit because that would be too easy, the cowards way out.

So, do your worst, you divine bastard. If this is how you treat people, if this is how your expect us to live our lives, then I don't want to know you. You're not fit to be a God. And by revealing your hand in this way, you vanish in a puff of logic anyway.

Who stands for my Kay? Who takes her side? Who biases the roll of the dice in her favour? That's someone I'd like to meet, some being with compassion, some being who looks at my daughter and values her strength, her fight, her determination. So far it's only been people who have stood for Kay. The medics, our friends and family, strangers with compassion.

If we can be tortured like this, what counter balances that out? And why isn't the counter balance working? Hey, counter balance, I'd trade everything else that's up in the air for Kay's health, do you hear me?

Or does it come down to Occam's Razor: is it statistics and that we're merely extremely unlikely victims of circumstance?

Kay. Darling. Come back.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Rob,
    I can feel your pain, your torture, your eager to find a reason why. Why Kay? Why your family? Why you? ..................... There is no answer. I've been searching for so long and still am. But there is no gain in it. Is it luck? The misfortune of a gambling stone? A friend of ours needs to be operated of a tumor. She is certainly not the person who deserves it, but who does? A child of 11 months who suffers from a brain tumor doesn't deserve it. In the past that was my only comfort, seeing that we weren't the only ones.
    We would like to see misfortune predictable so that we could do something about it. But life has chosen to be different. It has chosen to make it more exciting for us to live it, with the goods and the bads, with happiness and grief. Wether we like it or not.
    What really, really counts is to hold on, to yourself, to each other, to your believes, to your heart. You've been trough so much lately that it must be difficult to listen and find the connection to yourself again. Do not give up Rob, whatever happens, after all live is to beautiful. Kay would approve of it.
    Sending all the strength you will need,
    Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Viviane says it all so eloquently - I don't know what to add except:
    Stick with it Rob, hang in there.
    Your pain, anger and anguish are tangible - seeing them in black and white is awful.
    Wishing...there was something useful I could do...wishing...You weren't hurting...wishing...COME ON KAY! COME ON!
    Hugs, more wishes (and prayers too), but most of all - so much love coming over the ether to all of you.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strangely I quoted Douglas Adams at school today.We were talking about the tower of Babel and how God was unhappy about everyone being able to communicate with each other and becoming arrogant enought to regard themselves as gods. Well I say shake your fist and stamp your feet at him. You've every right to be furious and stand up to him because the fight isn't over. There are too many people down here on your side. He has no choice but to listen.
    We can communicate and miracles can happen!
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,

    I write this once before. When I went to see the Dali Lama, somebody asked him "Why do bad things happen to good people". He paused, considered it and said "I don't know, it's a mystery".

    Obviously I don't know either. But, I see crushing evil and monumental good. I see bad people hurting each other, and others laying down their lives for their brothers. You are in the eye of a storm and everything else is swept away from your sight, except for the awful, awful suffering that the family is going through. Nothing will ever justify or make right what has happened here. But somewhere beyond it you'll find peace, I promise.

    I wish Father Simon could see what you've written here. I'd like help with it too. But, I'm sticking with Viviane, Linda and Lesley and saying whatever you like to call it, there are so many people willing Kay well, and wishing you strength and a collective conscious working to support you, it hears you cry, it feels your pain, it loves you, it talks back to you ... so what else do we want from a God? Yes, of course, just that one missing piece, a miracle... Well maybe it's still to come.

    I love you dear brother. Hang in there. We hear you.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete