Sunday 2 January 2011

The K Files: I want to KNOW

I wish that life could just have left me alone. I was doing just fine, thank you very much. Many many years ago I had a theory of what life was about. Based on "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull", "Illusions", "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", etc, etc, I had an explanation of the Meaning of Life that was comfortable and made me happy, particularly the flying bits.

But then along came divorce and my little theory was blasted to pieces. Nothing made sense. I'd dedicated myself to love, to loving someone and still, my whole world fell to pieces. A friend told me at the time that, really, there's no meaning to any of these things, shit just happens. I didn't like that idea at all. I continued to struggle to understand what was happening to me at the time. But I failed to find any rhyme or reason. Eventually I decided more or less that divorce is not something that needs philosophical explanation, it's just what one person does to another and thus does not fall into the metaphysical realm - although at the back of my mind I have to admit that I thought that was something of a cop-out conclusion.

Since then I've lived my life knowing that my personal philosophy had more holes in it than Granny's old knickers but, frankly, I felt no need to put more time and energy into something that was of dubious value anyway. And the older I've grown the harder that my view on the subject has become. "The Selfish Gene" has a logic all of its own. "Godel, Escher, Bach" puts the case for intelligence as a mechanism. "The God Delusion" summarized quite a few things about organized religion that had bothered me since my confirmation, although I wish to make it clear that there's a lot of stuff in Dawkins book that I didn't and don't buy at all. But still, all this stuff remained nothing more than an intellectual curiousity. Until a year ago. Until the 19th of September this year. Until Kay died.

And now it's no longer a curiousity, now it's a burning NEED TO KNOW.

The basic problem is that I'm not much good at belief. I have spent most of my life building a firewall against it. One of the things that struck me from my confirmation studies all those years ago was that religion is a logic trap, designed to capture and hold the believing mind. And as I learned more I came to realize that this is what most religions have in common. Sometime ago I read some interesting articles around the theory that certain sorts of ideas are in effect viral in nature. Like computers viruses, they are in fact packets of information that can infect a host, modify the hosts operation and replicate themselves. However, at the deepest level of my nature, I'm allergic to any form of outside control, as I'm sure that my dear wife will confirm. To me belief is the equivalent of opening up ports in my mental firewall, that will then expose me to the possibility of being infected with a 'religous' virus that will change me in some Orwellian way and will result in me losing control over my being.

The consequence is that I have therefore viewed everything from a minimalist, Occam's Razor, point of view. Concepts such as "The Selfish Gene", etc, have always seemed to me to be eminently sensible and complete descriptions of the world, anything beyond being speculation, ie the domain of belief. In the summer, when Hawking announced that he didn't need god to explain the creation of the universe, I appreciated his point. However, I also appreciated the rebuke from Jonathan Saks, who said that religions don't concern themselves with how the universe was created but with why it had been created. I can see both points of view but I didn't need either of them: it doesn't surprise me that there's no trace of god in the creation of the universe because there's no trace of god anywhere else and mankind can continue to seek explanations for things for which there simply may be no explanation.

But then Kay died and everything changed: there is nothing more that I want than to KNOW that Kay is with me and to KNOW that I will be with her again. I can't bare the minimalist view that Kay was only the sum total of the atoms in her body, arranged in a certain way according to the rules of genetics. I can't cope with the idea that all that personality, that gaiety, that originality, that beauty has dispersed and left nothing behind but echoes in our memories. It FEELS SO WRONG, but unfortunately that doesn't make it wrong, it only makes it the simplest explanation. But still, I don't want the simplest explanation anymore, it is not adequate to my perception, to my need. I want to KNOW that my Kaytje is still there. Of course, I can't know because if I could, Hawking would have found god in the creation of the universe.

I have been hanging here for weeks now (I started this blog entry ages ago). Desperate for Kay. But knowing that there's no evidence in the rational world that can sooth that desperation. No way of knowing whether the Kay I sense in my thoughts, have heard talking to me four times, is actually Kay or merely the cunning operation of a subconscious that has evolved elaborate ways to dull conscious pain, to offer hope, to ensure that its host carries on operating.

And then while driving to work a few weeks ago I was caught by the lyrics of a song by The Script, "Science & Faith":

Tried to break love to a science
In an act of pure defiance
I broke her heart.
And as I pulled apart her theory
As I watched her growing weary
I pulled her apart
Having heavy conversations
About the furthest constellations of our souls. ooh
And we're just trying to find some meaning
In the things that we believe in
But we got some ways to go.
Of all of the things that she's ever said
She goes and says something that just knocks me dead.

You won't find faith or hope down a telescope
You won't find heart and soul in the stars
You can break everything, down to chemicals
But you can't explain a love like ours.

Woohhhh
It's the way we feel, yeah this is real.
Woohhhh
It's the way we feel, yeah this is real.

I tried pushing evolution
As the obvious conclusion of the start.
But it was for my own amusement
Saying love was an illusion of a hopeless heart.
Of all of the things that she's ever said
She goes and says something that knocks me dead.

You won't find faith or hope down a telescope
You won't find heart and soul in the stars
You can break everything, down to chemicals
But you can't explain a love like ours.

Woohhhh
It's the way we feel, yeah this is real.
Woohhhh
It's the way we feel, yeah this is real.

Of all of the things that she's ever said
She goes and says something that just knocks me dead

You won't find faith or hope down a telescope
You won't find heart and soul in the stars
You can break everything, down to chemicals
But you can't explain a love like ours.

Woohhhh
It's the way we feel, yeh this is real
Ooohhhh
It's the way we feel, yeh this is real

--

Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place for Kay? Perhaps I need to look into the place where our ability to appreciate art & music comes from? The place where we feel love? (Though my rational mind just whispers in my ear that perhaps these things are just artifacts of our complex minds, the consequence of having achieved a certain level on cognitive complexity).

I don't know. The only thing I know for certain is that nothing about the loss of Kay is emotionally reconcilable with the Occam's Razor view of our existence. No explanation that I can accept feels right.

So what does one do with a mind in this state? Inured against belief. Desperate to know the unknowable.

I so miss Kay, with every beat of my heart, with every microsecond that passes, with a burnished undiminished pain that will never die. I so need to know that she's with me. But my mind is being extremely uncooperative. How does one find a way through this to the peace that is necessary for life to regain any kind of quality? To knowing for certain that in some way Kay is always here?

9 comments:

  1. Goedemorgen Rob,

    Er komen bij het lezen van je blog heel veel gedachten in me op die ik als reactie zou kunnen plaatsen. Ik doe dat echter niet omdat het me vooral bij dit artikel opvalt dat je de antwoorden al in huis hebt.

    Je schrijft in het laatste artikel: "I so need to know that she's with me. But my mind is being extremely uncooperative"

    Kan je niet proberen om die controle over je mind terug te krijgen?

    Ik hoop dat je mijn reactie niet verkeerd interpreteert. Heel veel sterkte in ieder geval en een big hug.
    Lfs Bettine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rob,

    I do not have the great scientist mind that you have. I will have to admit that I sometimes have to look in the dictionary to understand the meaning of words that you write.

    What I have is a pure simple word.....faith. In what, I hear you say. That God is within our hearts, that we are all connected in some way. That death is not the end, that our children remain with us even though we do not see them.

    There is a verse from The Bible that I love and want to share with you. It calms me and I hope that it will have the same effect on you.

    "Be still in the prescence of the Lord and wait patiently for Him to act." Psalm 37:7

    Faith.....such a simple but powerful word.

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rob. The only things that come to mind that might have a bearing on your thoughts are: Newtons 3rd Law and Bernoulli's Effect, and Wave and Particle Physics. The 3rd Law and B's Effect can both explain aerodynamic forces that produce lift, and similarly wave and particle theory can both explain the behaviour of light. Thus, my own belief is that God (of whatever persuasion) and science can co-exist. I hope Father Simon can agree with that! Sometimes though, things happen that contradict any religeous comment, breaks with all good common sense or defies any logical theoretical modelling. Perhaps then, there are explanations still waiting to be found. Perhaps science and religion do not have all the answers yet. That shouldn't stop us looking. I believe you have started a search, a journey, that will bring you back to Kay. How or when that journey concludes no one nows, but travel you must and end it will. I believe Kay is there somewhere. Energy cannot be destroyed. God knows that Kay was a ball of pure energy and the release of that energy would have shaken the cosmos. I believe Lauren and Nattie are of the same ilk. They got it from their father. Take care Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish you could share my faith.
    Sometimes there are no straight answers, we just have to believe. And when all the analysing in the world will not bring an answer, be still let your mind be calm and believe it's true - even without scientific proof.
    All I can say is 'Yes Rob, Kay is there, she is always there and always will be'.
    In the same way as you 'know' that it's real when I say I'm sending a massive hug, you just gotta believe it.
    So, here it is - a massive hug!
    And loads of love for all of you.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, I think you are right that you will find God in the places you find love. I had some moments of epiphany myself when my religious self started to take form outside of RE and confirmation classes.

    Firstly, I remember sitting on the top of Kinder Scout after walking in the Peak District alone. I was physically tired and totaly at peace and just sitting there I was totally overwhelmed by a feeling I can describe, a flood of energy and deep peace all at once.

    I have had this experience a few times since. And, it's my real confirmation. It's getting to a place, in a state, where I can receive God.

    I wrote to Father Simon in my first year here in Australia and in one emails made a throw away comment apologising for spending my Sunday having surfing lessons and not having been to Church. I don't want to mis-quote Father Simon but his reply was something like this "you will have found yourself closer to God surfing", meaning I think, do what you need to do to get to a place, or state where you find him... Wherever, whatever that is for you. Maybe, you'll find him back in the sky, cloud bursting.

    I don't talk about my faith too much. It's very personal. But, I have it. Kays passing caused me a severe glitch. But, Kays passing has come at a time of great hope for Dom and I. And the two events a very entwined. Kay has become part of the hope we've transfered into our own child. We think she is with us as part of that journey. I can't explain that more, you'll think we are crazy.

    Rob, can I suggest you talk to Simon Marsh. He's amazing!

    Oh, by the way, the time I though God should have presented himself to me, I didn't find it. When I was sick in my adolescence and throwing down the gauntlet, it never happened. I had to reach the bottom and begin to pull myself back again, I suspect that the moment I started to fight for myself, that was the begining of opening the channel... Not saying this reflects your situation, but I think I couldn't get there because of all the noise.

    Hope you don't think I'm a fruit loop now!

    Turn down the noise, look in the places you find love... And give Simon a call!

    Big hug,

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know just what you mean about faith. My suspension of disbelief is not great enough to allow me the comfort entirely of God. I grew up with religion and have gone back and forth with my belief. I want to believe and have moments where I can feel it but the back of mind always says, yeah, ok but what about this, and I will start unraveling the logic. My two year old niece died this September as well. Dealing with that and my daughter's cancer makes me want to shut down the part of my brain that questions and just focus on the feeling. The feeling that something greater is there. That God is with us. That Heaven is real and waiting. If it is wrong, what did it hurt?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rob
    You must be exhausted. Reading this was. I don't understand some of it! Surely you should just let the part of us that appreciates music, art and allows us to love to take over. Maybe open up to the things that can't be explained and embrace them without questioning everything. This might offer you some moments of peace.
    With love
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omdat jij niet spiritueel aangelegd bent, weet ik eigenlijk ook niet waarom ik het volgende ga schrijven:
    Misschien is het een fijn idee als jullie eens een medium benaderen? Die jullie kan vertellen hoe het met Kay gaat. En dan geen loser die alleen maar geld wil, maar bijvoorbeeld Derek Ogilvie (ik ben naar zijn show geweest en vond hem echt heel erg goed). Misschien kan hij jullie antwoorden en rust geven. Ik zou het zelf een fijn idee vinden.

    Liefs Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Rob,

    Living with uncertainty is not easy. Reflecting on your deep questions, I conclude that it is unscientific to reject the lived experience of continuing contact with someone who has died, even if it can not yet be proven fact. There is so much we don't, can't, understand in our present state of knowledge. There is something about letting go of the need to analyse the ineffable, trusting life, welcoming the deep learning, and not allowing what we do not have vitiate the richness of all that is here for us. Of course you have to be devastatingly sad, but Kay would want you to flourish and rejoice in all she meant to you.

    I find this quotation from Rainer Maria Rilke helps to keep a perspective:

    I beg you...to have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

    As ever,

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete