Saturday 8 January 2011

Back Home

A quick update: we're back home. I have to say that for the first time ever I have the feeling that it would have been better if we'd stayed at home. The weather was not good, meaning that we have not seen the sun while we have been there. My back was a pain in the ass, almost - ha! But it limited what I/we could do. And in general the South of France does not have much in the way of indoor entertainment.

If we'd stayed at home I could have got treatment for my back quicker and just maybe I could have been mobile earlier. Certainly there's more to do at home when the weather is rubbish.

Regarding my back, the two best days that I have had in the last weeks were the days that I spend in the car. The Volvo is very comfortable, but perhaps most importantly I'd set the seat position to be pretty vertical with plently of curve in the back support. I also drove using a back brace. The result is that I spent two days sat upright, with a curved lower back and when I got out of the car each time I was merely stiff. Contrast with our sofas in France, which are low slung and very cosy, meaning very bad for a bad back. I spent quite a lot of time sat in a garden chair because it was the only apparatus that provided a vertical, curved sitting position.

This afternoon I have delivered on my promise to take Lauren to see "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows". I hate the cinema, let me be clear. I do not understand why the industry goes to all of the trouble of inventing superb quality surround sound when in reality one is surrounded by superb quality crunching sound. I sat through 75% of the film with my fingers in my ears, trying blank out the sound of pigs munching through buckets of popcorn. (Sorry, I've had a glass of wine and it's liberated my fingers).

Anyway, to the point: Kay hated Dobby. She wouldn't watch any Harry Potter film that featured Doddy. Every time I saw Dobby during the Deathly Hallows, I had to think of Kay. Dobby, the Hero. In the end, Kay would have loved him. And I struggled with my emotions, I sat there trying not to cry every time I saw Dobby. And of course, at the end when Dobby the Hero is killed, I had a real bad time. I thought, "Now Dobby is with Kay".

I must be going mad, completely barking mad.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree about the movie theater experience.

    I found your blog while researching childhood leukemia on the Internet. My best friend's 5 year old son was recently diagnosed with AML. I don't know what it's like to experience what you've gone through, but please know that your words and strength are helping other parents and their friends along their difficult journeys. Thank you for being so brave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob,

    Alison is busy sorting out her bills and general admin, so I thought I'd have another go at the AR-Drone. Hit the autoland button and had a near crash on the kitchen tiles! All's well though. Obviously not type rated yet! :o(

    I think Dobby is a bit like Jar Jar Binks in Star Wars... he almost ruins the movie! Maybe a bit harsh on Dobby fans?! I am glad that even if things are painful (literally in the case of your back) that you are engaging with the world at large. Slowly but surely, you will feel the warmth of the sun, hear the wind in the trees and feel the breeze on your face. Your senses are numbed through prolonged pain and it will take time to feel even vaguely happy again. You, Marion, Lauren and Nattie have each other to raise each other up to that state. Your friends and family can be rungs on the ladder. Keep climbing.

    You are all, always on our minds.

    Dom and Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not barking mad, not even a little mad! Memories come and smack us in the face when we're not expecting them - and even when we are expecting them they twist around and leave us feeling quite different to how we expected.
    You're walking a path that is necessarily slow and uneven, where emotions come and go without asking and where you inevitably do feel as if everythings gone out of control and madness is setting in.
    Hang in there Rob - you're doing great! A month back I don't think you'd have gone to the cinema knowing there was a chance of Dobby being there.
    Loads of hugs to everyone.
    Take care.
    With love
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob
    I am sure I speak for lots of your friends and family when I say how powerless I have felt to help you and Marion so I have decided to do something.
    Yes- I am pulling myself out of retirement and pulling on my trainers again - YIKES !!
    I have just been accepted to run in the 10k Great Manchester Run on behalf of the Leukemia Reasearch Foundation. I hope you approve.Cant pretend it's going to be a walk in the park [especially when I consider appearing in public not only running ,but also dressed in yellow- Yuk! Their running team is nick named "the Banana Army" hence the colour . Think I will add some serious purple to my colour scheme in memory of Kay. I want to raise as much as I can for research in her name and I would like to ask for your blessing.
    Let me know what you think.
    You are never far from my thoughts. Love and hugs to all.
    Lynne
    John, James and Emily xxxx

    ReplyDelete