Tuesday 11 January 2011

Blue Monday

It's now nearly 3 weeks since I stopped with the sleeping tablets. I'd expected that the side effects from stopping, sleeping badly, dreaming, etc, would have receded by now but they haven't. I had a terrible night on Saturday, dreaming that we were going to bury Kay and that I could't get my jeans off so I could change into a suit. I woke up completely stressed, so much so that I simply downed one of the lighter sleeping tablets to attempt to knock myself out for the rest of the night. The result was Zombie Rob on Sunday morning.

Then on Sunday night as I was drifting, trying to get to sleep, I had a perfect audio memory of Kay crying. Crying as she did when she'd had enough, crying for Mama, crying for me. It was a heart braking memory and, like a bad song, it kept playing itself over and over in my head, through the night and into the day on Monday. Of course, I slept very badly and waking up with that audio track in my head cast the day in a bad light from the beginning.

Last night I tried knocking back some Melatonin a few hours before bed, but that didn't help either. Its not clear to me if this problem is a side effect of stopping the medication or whether the medication was damping down symptoms already present. Or whether both things are true. But what concerns me is how long I can expect this to continue. I'm really close to the maximum amount of sleep deprivation that I can take, meaning that during the day I'm increasingly unable to do very much.

It has been suggested that I'm being rather too hard on myself, c.q. that stopping the sleeping meds is unnecessary and premature. I'll have to think about that, but now that I'm this far down the road I don't really want to give up, at least if either there's some other way of managing the problem or if things could be expected to improve on the short term. I'd really like to get back on my feet which to my mind means being free of props.

The other thing that has resurfaced recently is the strong feeling of disbelief that Kay is not here. It just doesn't seem right that she's gone, the hole left behind is too big to be real. I keep expecting to hear her, see her, feel her. She is way too real, way too strong to have gone from our lives. As I get access to more memories it seems increasingly impossible that she's not there.

Her death is old news to most of the rest of the world. But for us the whole thing remains incredibly actual.

3 comments:

  1. Rob,

    It has been almost 3 years since we lost Chip. I still have to take medication for the depression, anxiety, sleep disorder. You are very brave to be without it. I wonder if you are being too hard on yourself. Certainly medication is not the right path for everyone though.

    I know what you mean about "old news" to everyone else. I am still shocked over our loss of Chip even now! I recently saw some people that I had not heard from in years and the first thing I said was, "we lost Chip." It will never be old news to us, the parents. The pain remains fresh.

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lieve Rob,
    Wat al die dromen in relatie tot het stoppen met de slaaptabletten te maken hebben weet ik niet. Maar als je ingrijpende dingen moet verwerken, komt dit vaak naar buiten door te dromen (dat blijven ze mij ook maar steeds vertellen.....). Het wordt niet opgelost door deze mededeling, maar ik hoop dat je het een beetje meer los kan laten (niet zo streng voor jezelf!).

    Liefs,
    Natascha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kay's picture has a prominent place in our living room. For us also it is news everyday. People who visit ask about the photo and we tell them about it. We watched the video the other day. Still checking the blog, still not knowing what to write. Still wondering when to call you (and not knowing what to say).

    Have you considered not 'needing' to do anything on a day? Just do something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete