Wednesday 21 October 2009

Mixed feelings

It's great that Kay will be able to come so soon. I hope that the dramatic drop in her white cell count bodes well for the future. But of course this question belongs in that forbidden zone of questions-that-relate-to-survival-chances. These are questions that patients/parents want to, but shouldn't, ask and Doctors don't want to answer because they actually have no meaning.

Last time that Kay was sick her type of leukemia had a cure rate of 85% and for the last 5 years we have smilingly believed that we were a member of the 85% club. How wrong we were, apparently. So practically speaking the answer to all survival questions is digital: you're cured or you're not. But even if you are, maybe you're not. And if you're not, you definitely aren't. So don't bother asking, the answer is not useful.

Going home so quickly worries me. We've barely got our heads around the idea that we have a seriously sick child in hospital before we have to get used to the idea that we'll have a seriously sick child at home. Of course there are very many advantages to being at home, but I'm very worried about how Marion and I will cope with being not only being employees and very worried parents, but also practically full time nurses and drivers. I haven't thought it through yet, mostly because I'm so tired that I can barely remember my own name, but I have no idea what having Kay at home will imply for us. Will it actually make life easier? Or what? I guess that we'll have to wait and see.

1 comment:

  1. Everybody knows you are trained as a pilot, in addition to your professional reposnsibilities - but how many people have you told that you have actually trained as a nurse?

    I remember it well, your summer holiday working as an auxiliary nurse in Manchster (mainly with elderly people if I remember right).

    So, nothing is for nothing.

    Maybe Marion did a summer student assignment as a taxi driver...

    ReplyDelete