Thursday 22 October 2009

Light at the end of the tunnel is the next train coming...

Over dinner this evening Marion put her finger on one of my/our base feelings: the sense of unfairness that this kind of thing has to happen to us, again. It started for me with divorce and since then life seems to have been one long story of tunnels, lights and trains. A few weeks ago I had an errant thought: could it be that after all these years we could emerge from the tunnel into light?

It certainly seems that things are starting to go well with the last tunnel: Verum. After six years of hard work it is likely that Verum will shortly be able to sustain itself. Beyond that the growth curves look good. And now this, the light of a cash-flow positive business turns out to be the next leukemia train coming. We're going to remain in the tunnel for at least the next two years, if we're lucky. There are people who live their lives without tunnels, lights or trains. How come? And when will we have earned the right to join this elite and fortunate group?

6 comments:

  1. unfortunately we all have our own tunnel.
    illness and death are the worse one. but there is always an issue. Of course when this things happens one thinks why to me?? but it happens more then often and is unfair to everyone, but one day it will have to stop.
    Love to both of you alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somebody once said to me: there is a crack in everything BUT that is when the light gets in....!!!
    best regards Herman

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are also equating professional life 'tunnels' with family life 'tunnels', and I think those are very different things.

    The life of an entrepreneur is the life of being in a tunnel - a roller coaster ride that is supposed to be exciting. I have every confidence (for what it is worth) that Verum will lead to a good destination at the end of the ride. In any event, as John Lennon said, "Life is what happens while you are making other plans". Your professional life is being an entrepreneur.

    The misfortune with Kay is something else, and one that I can understand you being angry about. One small consolation: this unhappy event can pull people together. My girls are getting a lot of extra attention and cuddles (and they don't even know why they have Kay to 'thank' for that).

    Love,

    James

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some very eloquent followers. Their comments are thought provoking. In my experience with Liam's illnesses and misfortunes I would totally agree with you thinking 'Why Us?'
    But I am the eternal optimist and a great believer in positive thinking.
    Love to you all
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kay's Daddy & Mama

    I couldn't begin to answer 'the sense of unfairness'. Life's tunnels do feel just exactly that, whenever any of us have to travel through them.

    But I do want you to know that a host of people you've never met are thinking of and - yes - praying for you and yours - every morning, afternoon and evening. We appreciate the time you're taking to keep your family and friends updated with Kay's news and hope that from time to time you really do FEEL the encouragement and support that surround you all at this so very difficult time.

    Maybe it would help if I told you that the last time I was in a dark tunnel - unable to pray, unable to think straight, I would light a small candle (a little nightlight would do) at the dinner-table ... and I just tried to let the light carry all that I wanted to say and be but couldn't. Just such a candle is lit for you, Marion and Kay every day here in the UK.

    Love and prayers: Simon Marsh

    ReplyDelete