Monday 11 April 2011

Same again

Same problem again, being prevented from sleeping by my heart pounding in my chest. After yesterday's sleeping tablet failure the conclusion is that adrenaline is more powerful than sleep medication. So now I'm trying a different tactic: no tablets, just retired to the lounge, put the TV on and am waiting, hoping for sleep to arrive.

The really annoying thing is that I can't put my finger on the source of the problem. It's not like I'm lying in bed explicitly worrying about stuff. It's more like I've got a stress infection that is triggered by going to bed. I was just dozing a bit when a dog barked outside. My heart jumped at the sound, bounced off the wall of my chest. In fact it reacts to every little unexpected stimulus as an reason to skip a beat. How crazy is that?

This is truly awful and rather scary. I wonder what the hell is going on?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rob. What you describe sounds familar as 'panic' attacks. In that case breathing exercises are good news to bring down heart rate. CD is on the way in an express doc envelope. Give it a go. If you can do the hot cocoa m biscuit n reading thing... strangely that old fashioned thing has always worked best for me. Failing that, give in to the insomnia and watching easy going movies on your laptop with headphones is at least a distraction even if you don't sleep. Ali worries for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a thought have you tried reading something really boring. Study book on the recession etc tend to make me close my eyes, you could try a book on different breeds of sheep and the qualities of their wool, an avid topic of conversation down the welsh valleys ..x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might sound crazy coming from me, but you might want to consider yoga. As for not falling asleep even when you're very tired, I too find that dozing off on the sofa unexpectedly sometimes works better! BTW have you seen TV-series Fringe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ton, Not seen Fringe. But then TV's not high on my list of things at the moment - I just use it as background.

    Hope all is well.

    Rob.

    ReplyDelete