Saturday 16 April 2011

Foolish

I've been foolish with my life during the last ten years. I'm slowly starting to regret some of the decisions that I made during that period, decisions that now seem foolish, decisions that do not show the diligence due to my/our circumstances. Back then I was lucky, failed to realize it and failed to act accordingly.

For example, after Natasha was born Marion wanted another child. But I had brought three child into the world, two with Marion, and I felt that enough was enough. To me our family felt complete. Dragging around four children seemed rather excessive. Also I have to admit that the circumstances were not good, of course. Kay was facing two years of chemotherapy, which taxed us, Marion mostly, to the limit on occasion. Also it took quite a while for the relationship stress to die down that a child with an acute sickness poses on a couple. And by the time it had died down we were all that much older.

But as I look at things now, not having another child was a big mistake. I never for a single minute thought that we would lose Kay. If you knew Kay, you would recognize what I mean: she was such a solid character, a fixed part of the world, of my world. She was THERE, a positive force in the world. Of course, I knew that leukemia can mean death. But that was for other people, not for Kay, our fighter, our winner. So having another child seemed excessive. Equally, we live in a crowded world and all this "green" thinking led me to feel that three children was my fair quota in this life and that was it. "An heir and a spare", so they say and as far as Marion & I went, this is what we had.

But now the "Heir and Spare" idea seems completely facile. We have lost Kay and there's a gaping hole left in our family. Just having Natasha left over from the Howe/van Gaal gene pool seems to be recklessly dangerous, we seem to be way too close to having nothing left at all. Should anything happen to Natasha... the consequences would be inconceivable. Judging by Marion's current state of mind, she would not survive losing Natasha.

This is what I mean by having been foolish, having acted without due diligence. I should have taken into consideration that a child with cancer can die. I should have thought about what would happen should that be the case. I should have understood that for us one child is not enough, that we're going to spend the rest of our lives feeling the horrific gap that Kay has left behind and that in the meantime we've become too old to do anything about it. 

This is another aspect of this situation that is sliding into my consciousness like The Subtle Knife, the fact that we have passed into a phase of life where our options are narrowing, where the world is no longer our oyster. I should have realized all those years ago that Marion & I were both on our second chance to build a family and that it was late in the day. I should have realized that we didn't have the time to take the long term view, to see how it went with Kay. If we had lost Kay 10 years ago, the option to do something about it would have been open. 

I've started to feel old as this realization sinks in. And foolish for not having thought of it before, for not having had another child to hug and cuddle and love when Nattie is not here. 

But I can already anticipate your comments on this subject. And I'm sure that some of you will offer very relevant remarks. But there's another side to this story that is equally, if not more, foolish.

Throughout my life I have always been striving for something, particularly during the last ten years. I have always felt that I had something, a lot in fact, to prove and I have spent most of my life trying to prove it. Every time I accomplished something I spent no time gaining any enjoyment or satisfaction from that thing, I was already moving on to the next thing, the next challenge, the next stage of proof. As a result I have been hurrying through life, without taking in the surroundings, without enjoying the moment, without living in the now. 

I even had the biggest indication of success ten years ago when I sold my previous business. But again I didn't truly appreciate that accomplishment for what it was or spend any time doing anything more than accepting it for what it appeared to be. I didn't stop to consider whether it was sufficient, whether I really needed to carry on pushing myself to achieve yet something else. I just moved on to the next challenge that I felt it necessary to pitch myself at. 

This has turned out to be a gross kind of foolishness. So many important and precious moments of my life have passed by that can never be recovered, not even by rearguard action. Those moments of Kay's life that I missed are gone forever and there's no more Kay around to me to try and make up for it. Those evenings when I didn't read to her can no longer be recovered, nor the time when I didn't play with her, didn't splash in the pool wit her, didn't hold her, give her a nite nite kiss. The chance to steep my memory in everything about Kay has gone. Those memories that I retain from the last ten years seem so thin, such poor things to represent the life of such a rich child, a beautiful daughter, a precious unique creature that was here and gone in such a short time.

I have been such an idiot. I failed to grok how fortunate I was, how rich was my world, how beautiful my family, my children. I failed to live in the NOW with them, to steep myself in the value of the moment, to wonder at the wonders, the perfect children that my life had produced.

Now I feel like an idiot, a complete fool. I'm not one to live in the past, but I find myself increasingly regretting much of what I have done, at least these last ten years. While I have been striving to prove myself, that proof has been all around me and I have not realized it. The proof was my children, our lives, love.         
 

7 comments:

  1. Rob, words can fail against such a tide of emotion... but as always, one can but try. Your world has changed. The past is irrecoverable. The pain is enduring. Were I to say that there are many things to live for, would only seem trite. But the fact is... or should I say the faith is; is that we are here and now. And in those dimensions of space and time, we can do some good. However little it is, and no matter whom for. That is my genuine belief and the reason I wake up every morning. You will reach that determination again I am sure, because good men do. Your gaze will move forward. You will recognise the time you have to love those close to you. Grab each moment now. One foot in front of the other, one small step at a time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one i have to respond to.

    You did the right thing.

    You were able to concentrate you love and affection on Kay - Particularly in the last year of her life - because there was not another, smaller child demanding your attention in addition to Natasha. You were very lucky to be able to do this and be able to give Kay the absolute attention you gave in the last year of her life. You were able to do this because you run your own business and could delegate to other people and because Natasha is so independent (and well looked after when you and Marion were not available by relatives).

    What was the alternative? That you gave up and Kay and said "ok we have a spare just in case"? That you gave up on your career and dreams of what you want to achieve in life and made yourself a lesser man? Would that have helped Kay?

    Nonsense. You are a fantastic guy, you have never done anything but the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, if you had had 10 children you would still be feeling the devastation of Kays loss. I know where you are coming from though. But I look at the beautiful family that you have today and the one you have known in the past, and consider you still truly bless in terms of all your children (although acknowleding the tragic journey you are having). I bet this is one of those answers you were expecting!

    With respect to your concern about other life choices, Rob, you are still my hero! You have had a wonderful family life and brilliant career. All those who know you properly will know just how hard you've worked against the odds to build and rebuild your family, and build and rebuild a business. You are FANtastic. And, I'm your number 1 FAN!!!

    Love Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob,still here to read you, but don't know What
    To say just now. Keep the faith! X Ciel

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Je ne regrette rien' is easy to say, but difficult to do, but Rob, you please don't go down the route of 'what if I'd done it different?'. We have all made decisions that could be questioned, but dwelling on those decisions and giving them the 'what if' treatment undermines self-confidence and will lead to breakdown.
    Your family has said everything I would have said had I been around this weekend - please Rob, read their comments and believe in yourself.
    You are amazing! Keep going my dear.
    A massive hug and loads of love.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob, I totally understand where you're coming from. Although they are right to say you have done all the right things, I understand completely you might regret not having another child. And of course it would have nothing to do with replacing Kay, just deploying even more your incredible ability to love your children and give them strength. However regrets don't bring any good in life and you need to start rebuilding, reinventing with what/who you have. And when I think of Natasha, Lauren, You and Marion I think 'what a collection of unique and rich individuals'. There is still a lot to expect from life with such characters around!
    Lots of love, Isa

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi rob, i don't remember how i came across your blog but somehow i did and i've been reading it for the past few weeks. one of your posts really struck out at me - it was the one where you talked about how 2 people could be going through 2 different situations and although one situation might seem worse than the other, it still affects the person in the same horrible way. i think the example you wrote about was that woman in the ICU whose child was not that critical yet the mom was devastated. well, my situation is pretty horrible - to me, it's the end of the world. i don't know if others might consider it not-so-bad but i consider it SO tragic that i actually feel so many of the emotions you write about. my baby is not even a year old but was born with a brain injury (2 strokes actually. can you believe a newborn can have a stroke?) the doctors can't tell me what will happen but he will most likely not be a normal kid. it KILLS me. and the fact that i have to wait & see what happens is absolute torture. i obsess about this situation all day long, i'm not exaggerating. i'm actually at work but i think about it every minute of the day. i feel self-pity, bitterness, jealousy, anger, hopelessness, etc. sometimes i think this is a nightmare and is not happening to me. i can't even look at other healthy kids without feeling jealousy and anger. and i'm mad that i took things for granted when my life was normal & happy. i have an older child who is neurotypical and healthy. when i read this post, i was thinking the same thing - i need to have a 3rd child. i need closure. i don't know what i'm talking about. i just wanted to write to you and tell you that although i haven't experienced losing my child, i'm in such grief & devastation that it's taking over my life. i feel completely alone. it seems as if everyone around me has healthy normal kids running around. no one gets it. they want me to snap out of this. i can't deal with silly cliches like "everything happens for a reason". i just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone (in case you feel that way) and that really awful unfair things happen to others too. i hope you don't mind me writing to you. i was just having a bad day i guess and needed to write to someone. and i am very very sorry about kay. she was such a beautiful girl. i hope you and your wife are slowly doing better...have a good week.

    ReplyDelete