Thursday 17 February 2011

Mac Distraction

After my last blog post I was pretty much knocked out for two days. Monday and Tuesday last week. I think that these were to two worst days that I have had since Kay died. The memory that triggered it seemed to release a flood of grief in me that overwhelmed me for 48 hours. This is the first time that I've had an attack of intense grief that has lasted for more than a few hours and this caught me unawares. On Monday evening, 24 hours into the attack, I thought that the worst had passed and I fully expected to wake up on Tuesday restored back to whatever semblance of equilibrium that I'd previously had. 

But Tuesday turned out to be worse. At some point Marion decided that I needed to be outside - it was a sunny afternoon - and she put me in a garden chair, wrapped up in coats and blankets like an old man. This seemed to help turn the tide. Marion also arranged for me to see the homeopath that evening, who gave me something to improve my state of mind. However it came about, on Wednesday I was fit enough to return to work. But the effect on my agenda of losing two days of work was major and I have been playing catch-up ever since. So this is my first excuse for not having updated the blog in more than a week. 

My second excuse is rather more pathetic, but quite good: I finally gave in to various social and business pressures and bought myself a MacBook Pro last week. I got it on Thursday and since then have been spending my evenings trying to forget that Windows ever existed. I have to say that I think that it's a brilliant piece of equipment, probably the best laptop that I've ever had, though if Sony got their act together they could give the Mac a run for the money. But of course it's the software that makes the Mac so enjoyable to use. Anyway, I could bore you all evening with Mac vs Windows comparisons, which is not really the purpose of this column.

I think that it's now clear that grief is not linear process. I suspect that my way of dealing with it is to bottle it up for a while and then get overwhelmed by the accumulation. Marion seems to be more constant in her dealings with grief, more constantly upset or close to being upset. Marion tends to confront all things Kay, while I tend to avoid them. For example Marion is in and out of Kay's bedroom, while I've not been in there for weeks. Marion say nite-note to both girls every night, while I avoid thinking about the subject. I have no idea which approach is 'best', if there is such a thing, but it wouldn't surprise me if Marion's approach leads to her finding peace with the subject sooner than mine. Marion is confronting Kay's absence while I'm tending towards avoiding it and ultimately I don't think its something that can be avoided. So I suspect that there will be more moments that accumulated grief ends up laying me low.

Again I'd like to think everyone who contributes to this blog for their support. It has yet again been good to know that we're not alone with our fight to survive these most difficult of times. 

7 comments:

  1. Glad to see you back on the blog, I can't imagine how hard things are for you and Marion but rest assured that you are never without the support, love and prayers of many of us
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never alone. Love and hugs to Marion, Lauren and Nattie. Ali n Dom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is no way that you can cope with your grief, better than Marion or Marion's way is better than yours. You are 2 different people, so different ways to cope with your daughters loss. I'm still here, I Will also let Marion know that I am :-) Have à Good weekend! Bye, Ciel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed Rob, you're not alone - thinking of you all, all the time.
    I'm sure there isn't a 'right' way or indeed a 'wrong' way to deal with grief - there is only each individual's way. I'm glad you had a couple of days off, even though they were awful days, they will have brought you a little further on your personal journey - among other things, those two days will help you and others too to understand that you need support and you really do need to lean on others at the moment - even though you are the 'strong' one so much of the time.
    Enjoy the Mac - I've never met anyone who doesn't fall in love with them once they move to the other side!
    Take care and love and hugs to Marion, Lauren and Nattie too.
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think everyone deals with their emotions differently, maybe some ways are better than others, but this makes us who we are.
    On the other subject, when Max got his Mac book I was so impressed. He hasn't looked back since he got his. They are like driving a Porsche after owning a Lada!
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rob,
    easy to forget that Window thing once you have a Mac isn't it?
    To me as to Noud it is the most beautiful equipment we've ever bought.
    Enjoy it!

    Does there exist a "best" way of dealing with grief? I do not think so. Everybody has to deal with it on his own personal way although your approach isn't an easy one. But whatever you cannot change it anyway. It depends on who, what and how we are and that seems different for everybody. But we all go for the same goal: healing. And sooner or later the wound will heal.

    All the best for Nattie! I hope she will do well.

    Take care of yourself and your family,
    Kindly,
    Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob,

    Those two days will have done you good, it's part of the journey. It's another air-bubble released or another blockage passed through.

    My Macbook Air is like jewelery to me. It's an object of beauty. I am almost proud to show it off in public. Sadly, I can't use it very well, but who cares!!!

    Thinking of you all the time.

    Love Ali xxx

    ReplyDelete