Saturday 6 August 2011

Back Home

We got through Kay's birthday reasonably, I suppose, though not without the necessary tears and pain. This is largely due to the calls, SMS's and other messages that we had from family and friends. And of course keeping ourselves busy. The day at Marineland was excellent. The Orca and Dolphin shows were very enjoyable and informative, and to cap it all a baby Orca had been born at Marineland in April. This really would have been Kay's thing, she would have loved the baby. 

We spent the evening eating with some friends and ended up getting home after midnight, so we really did pack the day out with activities. I guess that we can put a tick in another box, we got through another red letter day. I suppose that there is now only one left - 19th of September. But I think I'll leave that one aside for the time being. 

I have really focused on keeping myself busy this holiday, primarily with Lauren and Nattie. It helps that they are both two years older than the last time we went on holiday and are now interested in and capable of doing more fun stuff. As a result we have spent 4 days down on the beach (a record for us!), with me teaching them windsurfing and sailing a Hobie with them. They have both taken to windsurfing and have made good progress, able to sail back & forth and make simple turns. I have thoroughly enjoyed my water-rats. Nattie is probably part fish and seems to have total confidence with any water based activity.

The only problem with all this is that I have been aware that Marion has been left out. She's not much into holiday sports and certainly not watersports, the latter being something that she shares with Kay. The fact that I have been running around with Lauren & Nat so much only goes to highlight Marion's feeling that she's lost her playmate. We each feel Kay's loss so personally and so differently. 

We got up at 3am this morning to avoid the rush of traffic and I've only had a few hours sleep since, so I'm sat here at the moment feeling very tired and fatigued. Think I'll put my feet up for the evening and contemplate the holiday.

3 comments:

  1. Good night then. Glad you are Home safe and sound!
    Still here, thinking à lot of you. Give my love to
    Marion
    Ciel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're home safe with some good memories of the holiday.
    I can certainly understand Marion not being into any kind of watersports, but hope she managed to have a good time too.
    Still thinking of you all constantly

    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Rob, Marion, Nattie, Lauren. I'm so proud of you. Tell Marion I'm looking forward to the day that I can spoil her like crazy in Australia. Sending you my love, as always.

    ReplyDelete