Saturday 11 June 2011

The 6 Billion Dollar Man

Some years ago a colleague accused me of being a perfectionist. I laughed. "Me?", I said, "I'm the least likely perfectionist on the planet", and thereby more or less automatically confirmed the allegation. And I guess that there is some truth to it. I recognize that I tend to set high standards at the office. I don't like work that is poorly presented or poorly finished. I don't like badly written text. Things should be ship-shape and Bristol fashion, as far as reasonably possible.

Elsewhere, I don't like things that don't work properly. If something is designed to do a job, then it should do that job properly. If it has features, then those features should work. I tend to get irritated with a thing even if features ancillary to its main purpose don't work properly. If something doesn't work, then throw it away and get one that does work. I hate messing around repairing things that are clearly never going to work again properly. Bodging a repair to get something partially working I find irritating, though sometimes necessary. On the other hand, if it's possible to repair that thing and restore it to fully working condition, that's fine. Satisfying, even.

This attitude extends even to my view of my own body. During my second year at University I had a knee operation. There was a suspicion that I had torn a cartilage. I must admit that I hated the idea that after the operation my knee would not be fully functional, that at the young age of 19 my skiing days would be over before they had even begun. In the event they couldn't find anything wrong with my knee. 

These were pre-endoscope days when a knee operation involved a three inch cut and 6 weeks in a plaster cast. When my leg came out of the cast it looked like it had spent 6 months in Ethiopia, my muscle tone had completely vanished. Bearing in mind that I was/am a cyclist and had/have well developed thigh muscles, this was a huge shock. I became determined to restore my muscle tone as fast as possible. I have to say that I became rather obsessed. The moment that I was allowed back on my bike I was off into the Pennines, hill climbing. With the help of the fantastic University physiotherapist I restored my muscle tone. But it came at the expense of my studies - I failed my 2nd year and had to re-sit my exams at the end of the summer holidays. Still, the next time that I saw the surgeon he remarked that he could see no difference between my left and right legs and that that was a remarkable achievement. 

I guess that I have more or less zero tolerance of imperfection when it comes to these kinds of things (but I'm not a perfectionist, right?). I like to think that all things can achieve a reasonable state of order or can be returned to that state with the right kind of effort and determination. I always reckoned that Steve Austin, The 6 Million Dollar Man, got a fair deal after his X-plane crashed. Sure, he lost two legs, an arm and an eye. But they were replaced with Bionic components that made him faster, stronger and just plain better than before. I think if I ever lost a leg or an eye or became disabled in some way I would find it extremely difficult to accept the resultant limits. I would hate the idea that I'd become... less.

And yet, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that that is actually exactly what has happened to me. I have lost a piece of my soul. My heart is broken. I am mentally scarred, a scar that is never, ever going to go away. There are things I will never do again, things that I can never do again even if I wanted to. I am broken and although I'm still functional, I will remain broken and irreparable forever. 

This is very very difficult to accept. I look at my life and wonder what has become of it. Ten years ago everything looked perfect, was perfect. I had a great family, money, prospects, ideas, energy. The future was an exciting, undiscovered country waiting to be explored from an established, solid base. Ten years later I feel battered and crushed. Amongst other things, my family has lost a child. We have been through hell and we don't know if we have come out the other side yet. In fact, we've lost the ability to distinguish between Hell and Life. Life, it seems, is Hell. And I'm afraid that I'm going to spend the rest of my life living in it.

When I look at myself I see some of the damage and scars that I carry and I know that there are some things that cannot be fixed, some kinds of order that cannot be restored, some things lost that can never be replaced. Not even if I was the 6 Billion Dollar Man. 
   

2 comments:

  1. When I first joined the Army, I heard a lot about the '80% solution'. I could never understand why one would accept less than 100% when clearly you knew there was another twenty per cent to go! As I've progressed and regressed, now I figure 80% is a good place to start, or indeed a benchmark not to fall below. That when in contact with the enemy, that a perfect plan is merely a basis for change. I've re-learnt this lesson many times (sometimes painfully) and though one keeps hoping the 100 % will materialise one day, that I should enjoy the 99% days when they come along. I suppose +/- 500ft when straight and level is not a bad tolerance to go for. So how does this change the price of fish? What's the "So what?" Well I suppose it means that we keep striving, we keep hoping, and for some, we keep believing that our lives continue to have value and purpose. That others need us, and we do make a difference. I know Alison and I believe you, Marion, Lauren and the beautiful Nattie make a huge difference in so mamy peoples lives, that your joint value is most considerable. I am sure your other readers will agree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know something...?
    You are an absolute inspiration! Your last post (EMDR) shows such utter determination to 'mend' the brokenness. I cannot imagine anyone else who would put in so much effort, or go through so much pain in order to ‘be mended’ and your own analogy of your knee is a lesson in itself, but I suspect you’re only seeing part of it.
    It took a long time for the knee to heal, in fact it healed at the expense of other important parts of your life – and I can’t remember - but I bet it took at least year. This time you cannot set aside everything else and concentrate solely on ‘being mended’, even though it is vital for you.
    Rob, although it can’t be ‘fixed' because that would mean time-travel backwards, even these scars will heal. I don't believe you will come out of this 'hell' feeling as if nothing has happened and no-one is suggesting you will ever forget (in fact, I guess you can still experience that awful sinking feeling when you recall first sight of your poor withered leg, but that guttedness found its rightful place in your memory bank - eventually). You came through the knee experience and you will come through - in fact, are coming through - this stronger in so many different ways.
    Hang in there Rob!
    Sending hugs and love to all.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete