Saturday 14 May 2011

Weeks of Maximum Hope

These were the weeks of maximum hope, this time last year. The oak trees in our garden were that beautiful shade of fresh green that they have when all their leaves are new, as they are now. The whole garden was fresh with spring newness as we brought Kay home, full of optimism. As I was writing this I thought that I'd look up the photo that I took of Kay when she came home after the BMT, but I dare not, it would break my heart. Everything went downhill from that moment.

My body aches for her, everything I do around the house and in the garden recalls her. The last few days I have been opening the pool and I'm constantly beset with memories of her: last year sitting on the edge of the pool with toes in the water, so angry and upset that she was not allow to go in; years past, playing pig-in-the-middle with her and Lauren. It's all so difficult to encompass, to believe, to understand that she is no more. 

Nattie has been away for three nights and two days, Lauren is at school. At these moments the emptiness of the house screams at me, the silence from Kay's bedroom. Life feels so incomplete, it feels like I have failed in the most important thing that there is: to bring all my children safely to adulthood. A failure that can never be redressed, never compensated, one that I just have to live with. It's almost impossible to bear.

I'm also becoming more and more afraid of the summer. We're going to enter the birthday period soon, first Nattie, then Marion, then Kay, then me; one every two weeks from the start of July. Marion's & Kay's birthdays fall during our holiday and we'll be away from our support network. These are going to be moments of high emotion and deep grief, and having to face them scares me stupid. We're too hurt, too fragile to have to face Kay's birthday in particular. I know already that Marion is going to turn into a bucket of tears and I'm not sure that I'll have the strength myself to support her.

On the positive side, I seem to be sleeping better. For the last weeks I have fallen asleep fairly quickly and have slept reasonably well, although generally I've been waking up early. I take a couple of paracetamol and an Oxazepam sleep inducer to help, a formula that worked nicely this time last year. I no longer have the absolute mind-numbing tiredness that I was fighting a while ago, but the result of sleeping better is that I'm more aware of just how generally tired I am, especially in the morning. Although I wake early, I still feel like I could continue sleeping - need to continue sleeping, actually. So I'm still pretty slow out of bed and the days still consume more energy to get through than they deliver.

Oh, would that it were all different. I so miss that mischievous laugh, that infectious giggle, the mock outrage, the loving smile, the warm heart and bold nature. All the things that she was, I miss in every cell of my body.  

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Rob
    You will all be in my thoughts tommorrow as I pound the roads of Manchester in my fluorescent yellow t-shirt with purple ribbons in my hair [Emily's idea]in honour of your brave and wonderful Kay. I only hope I can do her memory justice and that I have a tiny piece of her fighting spirit.I will be running and praying for the day that no one will have to go through the pain you all feel.
    Love always
    Lynne
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're sleeping a little better. It is a sign of recovery... believe it or not. Don't feel guilty if some level of energy returns. I know that even though I did nothing wrong in my own situation, that 'survivors' guilt hangs heavy.

    We were all feeling and thinking the same thing after Kay's BMT. I figure we made those assumptions because of Kay's character... undeniable, irrepresible, strong of heart. That is why the fall was so great. Now the Rob Howe family has to summon it's share of those qualities (qualities that it gave in part to Kay... though I suspect she was born well equipped!) and press on.

    Please do your share of greiving whilst Nattie and Lauren are away. Do not be afraid to lean on Marion as she must lean on you. Often men take on the heavy lifting till it crushes them. Don't fall into that trap.

    Ali thinks of you constantly. She was telling me last night of your sledging incident with her one winter! I believe your character remains much the same!

    God keep you. Our biggest hugs to Marion, Lauren & Nattie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are constantly in my thoughts - as the 'birthday season' arrives, and you go on holiday, the blog part of your support network will still be here, thinking of you and around if you decide to write.
    Try not to be afraid of the summer Rob - I hope and pray that those memories will bring smiles as well as tears.
    Love and hugs to all
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad that you are sleeping better, just a small improvement but one that will have benefits in giving you more energy to face the days ahead. As always you are in my thoughts through this difficult period.
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete