Monday 28 March 2011

Dilemma

I recently received an email from someone who had been following this blog, telling me in no uncertain terms that I should shut up. This set me wondering, actually. The problem is that I think that I have covered a lot of the consequences of Kay's death - at least the ones that can be aired in public. In keeping with that person's thoughts I'd been wondering whether to some extent I was "scraping the barrel" of grief.

On the other hand, there are so many consequences of Kay's death that I simply cannot air in public. And it seems to me that these problems are getting worse as time goes by. By definition I cannot tell you what they are, but trust me, they are very serious. In some ways I am healing from Kay's death and in others we are not.

Perhaps this should not matter, I should have other ways of coping with these problems. But unfortunately it seems that I do not. This blog has always been a way for me to vent my feelings, for me to get my own head straight, for me to achieve some catharsis. It is also a way for me to keep distant friends and family up to date with what's going on. However, I'm blocked from achieving this by the nature of the problems that we face and therefore blocked from catharsis.

My middle ground solution has been to keep writing - for I value and need every token of support that I get - but I end up either repeating myself or writing about peripheral, perhaps seemingly superfluous, stuff.

People often comment to me that they have no idea how it must feel to lose a child. My standard reply is that I don't either, at least not entirely. The pain and grief is like a huge diamond, multi-faceted and of perfect construction. Perhaps fortunately, I only get to experience it one or two facets at a time - this diamond is simply too large for me to "appreciate" in one go. Some facets I have seen multiple times, some are new to me or I have forgotten so that they seem new. But whatever, I keep going round and round this diamond. My way of coping is to try to describe, understand and come to terms with each facet, but this is a task that will undoubtedly take me the rest of my life.

I also suppose that it would not be healthy NOT to attempt to "appreciate" each facet as then one would only be postponing the inevitable. "Appreciation", I suppose (not sure what word I'm looking for here...) is the key to putting grief in its place. And an important part of my "appreciation" technique is putting each facet to words here - at least as far as I am allowed by social convention and respect for the feelings of others.

I guess that that's really my answer to the "Shut Up" email: this is part of my way of dealing with the circumstances in which I find myself.

If you don't like it, no-one's forcing you to read it. 

9 comments:

  1. Rob,
    Please keep on writing! That person has a choice to read!

    Love
    Natascha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rob... happy to write to the author of the 'shut up email'. You keep writing we'll keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Dominic !!
    Rob, if it helps keep writing and those who wish to feel close to you all and support you will keep reading.
    You all continue to be in our thoughts every day.
    Much love
    Lynne ,John, James and your blue eyed Emily
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. To the person who wrote the shut up email: Rob, your last sentence said it all.

    And as Dominic says: You keep writing, we'll keep reading.

    And we are all trying to give you, Marion and your daughters some kind of support, by responding.
    So I hope you will not shut up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so weird. It makes perfect sense for you to keep writing. And everybody has the option to stop reading. I think the readers form an image of "how you are doing" based on what they read. But as you say, that image is probably not correct, barely scratching the surface.

    Looking forward to your next entry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rob, the idea of the 'shut-up' email makes me really cross. It's your blog and most of us who read it are doing so because we want you to know that there is a vast ocean of love and support for you from people who want so much to be able to sit down and physically listen and give you a hug, but can't do so for geographic reasons. We're not here to tell you what to feel or how to handle it. We are here to try to help to share a little of the burden.
    I guess this is the only problem with a blog - it's in the public domain.
    If the writer of 'Shut Up' can't handle the pain, then it's time that person stops reading.
    But Rob, if it helps you, please keep writin.
    Love and hugs
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all been said.
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rob,
    I find it really unfair that someone would ask you to shut up... I find a lot of comfort in reading your blog. Even though it is obvious (and we don't need the blog for that) that you are in such deep pain. At least you share this with us, and that is so important for you and for us. It means you're still alive. We think about you every day - I even often dream about you all. And I admire your ability to translate your feelings into words. I bet it must do you good. Please keep on writing.
    Lots of love
    Isabelle

    ReplyDelete