Friday 16 September 2011

Happy Families

At the start of summer our cleaning lady quit after having been with us for some years. This was something of a disaster and I tried to talk her out of leaving. But it seems that after all this time the emotional load of being involved with our family just became too much for her. She said that she lived with our loss everyday and that she really wanted a job that didn't pull on her heart strings. I tried to argue that things are getting better, that we have made good progress in dealing our loss and that we would continue to do so. But at the end of the day she had become emotionally exhausted, quite understandably I suppose. In fact it's a measure of the goodness of her nature that she had stuck with us through the last years. Our gardener quit right in the middle of Kay's treatment the miserable ... person.

On the other hand I feel that things in our house are not necessarily as difficult as she made out. We're not exactly sat around in sack-cloth and ashes here. We're operational, we do stuff, we work, we laugh, we play, we go out, we have visitors, the house is not falling apart (quite). We don't sit around all day in tears or mope about like we have reached the end of the world. We don't talk about losing Kay particularly, nor do we reflect everything in the light of our loss. We get on with the most difficult and emotionally challenging thing that can happen to any parent and, content of this blog to one side, we don't make a huge fuss about it. At least, to my mind.

But the other evening I was round at some friends as they were putting their kids to bed. The extended family was present, grandparents, parents, kids. The atmosphere was lovely, a happy family at bedtime. The kids deflecting and dodging instructions to get upstairs, smiling faces, a relaxed atmosphere seemingly without a care in the world. Everyone playing a role and all roles completely filled. The richest family in the world, if you ask me. 

I was struck to the core by just how different their world is from ours. But equally it's difficult to quite put my finger on the difference. I think its got to do with the carefree and relaxed nature of their interactions, external markers of people who are of themselves relatively relaxed and carefree. (I use the word "relatively" because this family, as with most families, is not without its own concerns). But that's not quite it either. There's something about the atmosphere in our house that just weighs more heavily. For example the laughter in our house is quieter and less frequent and when it happens there's a component missing. Now that Lauren is back at school there's only one child around where there should be three. Bedtime involves just putting Nattie to bed and although this is a fine moment of the day, it still feels incomplete. 

How does one feel a hole in one's life? How do we give form to something that is missing? How do we quantify that which isn't anymore? What happens when a family role is no longer filled? When the day misses a key character?

I guess I came to understand why our cleaning lady left. Even when we do our best, put on our bravest faces, carry on with our lives, play, laugh, live, there's a hole that echoes loudly around our house. A missing character, an unfulfilled role. And no matter what we do, that's the way things are. 

Cast in this light it does seem that this life has become a sentence, something to be endured rather than appreciated. The happy families in this world have absolutely no idea just how fortunate they are and just how much I long for the (lost) days when we were a happy family too.     

7 comments:

  1. Dear Rob, just having started my happy family, there is not a single day when I don't reflect on how lucky I am. I think about Kay, with a low level monologue that seems constantly present but turns up or down. When it turns up, I stop in my tracks and remember to thank God for what I have, but also reflect on how fragile it all is. I now remember to treasure the seconds, not just the day. I remember to mentally frame all the amazing moments. Kay has taught me to suck up and relish my life and my love. She's ingrained in my day, and very much a part of the joys I now experience, she's turned up the intensity with which I experience my life.

    Sending you my love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Rob,

    I think I understand what you are saying. There was life with Kay and now life without Kay. No way of tip-toeing around the issue, you cannot fill that void, just as I cannot fill the void where there once was my son Chip. I'm not surprised that the laughter in your home seems too quiet. It has been an exhausting time for you and your family as you experienced Kay's illness and then the painful loss of her life. Give yourself time to rest and heal.

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't know what to say but know that I am thinking of you, especially on the 19th.
    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine the emotion you must go through as you watch and participate in the 'normal' interactions of someone else's family life, when your own 'normality' has shifted. All I can think right now is that you are amazing. You have come through the last two years and are still analysing every step of the way :-) But more to the point Rob, you have shown such incredible inner strength as you faced so much.
    As Monday draws closer and we all struggle, I just hope and pray that you can feel the love and support that is with you all day, every day from those of us who are far away geographically, but with you in spirit.
    Loads of love and hugs
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob
    We all just wanted to send you all big, big hugs. Monday will undoubtably be a truly difficult day but we hope that knowing you are in our thoughts will help you all to get through.
    All our love always
    Lynne, John,James & Emily
    Auntie Jacky & Uncle John
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Rob
    I don't know how i came to your blog; Tough times, very difficult period, a recent loss in my life, looking for help...No matter. i have been deeply touched by Kay's story.. Your words helped me a lot to face the death of my young brother. You re an amazing family. I apologize for my basic english (I m french) but i just wanted to tell that I will think of you, specially tomorrow with a deep respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a moment will pass today without you and your family foremost in my mind and heart. I wish words could fill the hole but they won't. Hopefully love and time will fair better.

    One year is a short span of time when the loss is so great. Each step may seem small but they are small steps in the right direction.
    With love Sharon x

    ReplyDelete