Monday 19 September 2011

Cuddle Sandwich

It's the 19th. No more needs to be said, I suppose. We started the day well enough with a "Nattie flavoured Cuddle Sandwich". That is Marion+Mickey, Nattie+Beertje and I in bed, cuddled up with Nattie in the middle. Very pleasant. Unlike Kay, Nattie can lie still enough to have a decent cuddle. Kay loved crawling into bed with us and did so at every opportunity, but she couldn't lie still for very long, always wanting to get up and doing something. Lauren is with my parents today. She asked weeks ago if she could be excused from school today and spend the time with Granny & Grandpa.

We're operational, as usual - no lying around being miserable for us. But I can see the tears in Marion's eyes, she looks like I felt three weeks ago in the run up to the coma. The question is what to do with the day now that we're up. Marion's busying herself around the house doing the usual things. But I'm at a bit of a loss. The most appealing thing is to do stuff with Nattie. Maybe some Meccano or trains or microscope or something. I was hoping to go cycling for a while, but I've still not shaken off the 'flu bug that I've had for the last weeks.

Flowers, cards and SMS's have been coming in for the last few days. Lovely. The support is so incredibly important, words can't say. As Linda said in an SMS to me this morning, I can't believe that it's a year. Makes it sound like it was a long time ago, but in many ways it still feels like TODAY. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it still feels like today and this morning I'm sure many of us relived that thud of realisation that Kay was finally at peace - but the rest of us were not.
    Rob, my hope is that you go out together somewhere for a while today, hold onto each other, accept and share the emotion together - it's part of the healing journey. The cards and the flowers demonstrate love and support, which is there for all of you whenever you need.
    As always, I wish I could send a real hug, but a virtual one is with you all today.
    Much love
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete