Sunday 8 November 2009

Sub Prime Emotional Debt

I haven’t written anything in days about my own perceptions of Kay’s illness. The reason is that it’s really all too awful to attempt to describe. But at the same time I’m kind of getting so used to the awfulness that it’s beginning to seem like normality. Take Kay’s epileptic attack yesterday: when I saw the attack starting I surely felt the same rush of panic that had Marion bouncing off the walls, but it was gone in a second and left me able to think about what to do, so I stepped in to Kay’s side and started talking to her.


“Think” in this context is a relative term. My mind is operating at about 50% or less of its normal capacity. Don’t ask me to solve any complex problems at the moment or think about anything in any great level of detail. Most of my “thinking” is merely the execution of standard programs that have been running for a while. I’ll run into problems if (work) circumstances change and I have to be creative. A small example of this is that I have been writing my presentation for the Bits & Chips conference later this week and it’s an extremely difficult and slow process to string my thoughts together creatively to produce a story that runs consistently across 30 slides. That, and to ensure that the story is a sensible, presentable piece of work.

After the attack I’d expected to feel shock or some kind of recoil from a terrible incident. But I didn’t feel very much actually. Yes, it was frightening. Yes, it was a big shock. Yes, etc, etc. But I’d expected to feel tears or anger or relief or anything, really. I suppose I’m becoming inured to the whole experience.

As I mentioned before, my approach to dealing with the emotional content of this situation is to push the emotions to one side for later digestion, at a moment when I feel stronger and more able to cope with their intensity. In the beginning it was very hard to do this, all the difficult, meaningless questions kept thrusting themselves to the fore. But it’s been a while since I had to exercise maximum mental discipline to keep these things in their box. Now it seems that I have reached a state where I don’t have to work at all, all the nasty strong emotions now seem to automatically walk to the box and jump in and close the lid behind them. I almost feel resentful, there’s no sense of achievement, of having mastered the situation. And as a result I’m starting to wonder about my own, well, sanity. But “sanity” is not the right word, “desensitization” (gosh the spelling checker accepted that first time!) I suppose is a better word. But that’s not it either.

At the beginning of Kay’s sickness my first reaction, based on our experience last time, was that we/I needed professional mental help and support. But now another part of my mind feels pretty much like I’ve mastered the situation in a strange way and that I/we don’t really need mental support anymore. It was just a question of adjusting and the adjustment has been successfully made. High Five! All that stuff in the box will either stay there or will fade away with time, won’t it? It matters not.

But another part of my mind is waving its arms, trying to get my attention to tell me that that isn’t necessarily true, that desensitization is probably not a good thing on the long run and that I/we probably need mental support now more than ever. Well, maybe. But frankly I’m too busy worrying about Kay and trying to get everything else done as well to expend effort on the subject. And the “High Five” view is more constructive, convenient and useful in the current circumstances. It allows me to function better than otherwise. Still, as I write this I have a strange ‘vacuum’ feeling in my stomach, a sort of worry that I’m clocking up a massive invisible debt that will have to be paid back later, with interest. And as we have all learned in the last year, debt is a bad thing.

Hey, here’s an idea. Maybe I can package up all this debt and sell it to the bankers? They buy anything without asking questions so it should be easy to pass on to them a load of sub-prime emotional debt.


6 comments:

  1. You are the 'right stuff'.

    When you related the story to me of talking to Kay, without panicking, while she was having a fit on Saturday, I was reminded of Tom Wolfe's account of certain of the X-1 pilots calmly reading the altimeter into the ground. It's such a moving story of bravery and concentration on what needs to be done.

    Kay has been short on luck in her young life, but she has been lucky enough to have been blessed with a father like you (and of course a mother like Marion). You really are the 'Right Stuff' and I can't think of anyone braver and smarter to be holding the hand of his little girl.

    That you are "desensitized", I have no doubt, and also that it has changed you, almost certainly. That process had already begun with other hard knocks that you have had, and the tough way in which you make your life.

    It is entirely for another time how you cope with "post traumatic stress", right now you are our biggest hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob
    I think you're describing your "coping strategy" as the psychologists might call it. At least you have one. Perhaps it will all come out sometime in the future when you have time to reflect, but then you'll have time and support. At the moment you appear to be coping better than most... so don't give yourself something else to worry about!
    BR
    Alistair (Sue and Emma)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rob, Marion,
    The ability to react or think without emotions involved is what humans are capable of in the most extreme situation. That is what I've learned during the period of my son's illness. It is that capability (being very rational where strong emotions are involved) that helps us survive an extreme difficult situation. In the future you will ask yourself how did we manage? But at that time it won't matter anymore. Even last week after 23 years I remembered something that had happened during the chemo-period which in normal circumstances would be very painful, but I ignored it completely at that time.
    The situation you are experiencing now is so devastating that your brain will automatically go on automatic and choose the things to do that have utmost priority.
    So don't blame yourself or another for being perhaps "emotionless". It is only the extreme emotions for a loved one that make us behave the way we do in this situation.
    Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob
    I read this before the update on Kay. I thought that maybe you are storing something up that may rear it's ugly head later but after reading the events of Nov 8th and the previous few days I think you're amazing and doing exactly the right thing. You're there for Kay that's the most important thing at the moment.
    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate to your box metaphore. I have one too, and yes, in a way, the contents fade. It's probably a good strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. noone can get use to pain or death, is somethig it should not exist, we all have to keep up with it at different degrees.
    So don't hide yourself be upfront.
    Thinking of you and Marion
    with friendly thonghs and love
    Alex

    ReplyDelete