Monday 2 November 2009

Funny Story

Ok, to lighten the mood and give an indication of the state of my head the following story from yesterday:

I picked up my Mum & Aunt from the airport yesterday. Typically my luck at the moment, the normal 50 min drive to Dusseldorf took +2 hours. It turns out that yesterday was the busiest Sunday ever on the Dutch roads and I got stuck for more than an hour trying to get through Roermond. So on the way back I was very late. Then Marion called to request that I spend the night in the hospital. Since we'd not seen each other in the previous 24 hours we thought it would be good if we could meet at the hospital before 7pm so that we could grab a bite to eat together - the resturant closes at 7pm.

I got home at 6pm and had to sort out my stuff for the night whilst making sure that Lauren was ready to return to school, that Nattie was OK and Mum & Aunty Jackie were pointed at the kitchen.

At some point I run upstairs to put my suff together. As I walk into our bedroom I think, "I need my toilet stuff from the bathroom and also I need a pee". So I walk into the bathroom, thinking about what I need, etc, etc. I flip the lip up, unzip my fly and then (fortunately) look down to make sure that my aim is correct only to discover that I'm about to pee in the laundry basket!

I can tell you now that not even when extremely drunk during my student days have I ever confused a laundry basket for a toilet. Just goes to show what sort of "woolly thinking" (actually I prefer the term "fuzzy logic") is going on in my mind.

5 comments:

  1. Lauging-out-loud. There's a somewhat similar story from Esther's youth I have to tell you some time (when she's not listening).
    Take care, take your rest.
    Ton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I know of at least one person who, under 'the influence' managed to pee in the clothess cupboard.

    There must be some kind of club available on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rob, Marion and most of all Kay and not to forget Lauren and Nattie,
    Last night I started reading your Blog. It came all back to me, the fear, the anger, the doubts, going on day in and day out without really knowing that you live, being strong for everyone and not being able to help MY CHILD. My child that was amazingly strong on days that my courage wasn't even to be found in my shoes. One day sitting in the Radboud, looking around for the first time I didn't ask myself why us, why my child?
    Instead I thought: " Am I any more or better than others? For the first time I could enter the hospital thinking: 'So many fight and survive this illness and so will we!"
    It didn't take away the pain nor the fear or doubts but it gave me strength and this I believe reflected on my child. He survived.
    But he nor I will ever forget what it was like.
    I will think of you everyday until Kay is better again.
    And then I hope that there will be trains and tunnels and light, for they belong to life, but in harmony.
    Viviane Fransen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rob and Marion,
    I keep reading that Kay has very big problems concerning the plasters. There are plasters called MEPORE surgical plasters who do not hurt that much when taken off. Perhaps they are used all ready but just in case.The slightest inconvenience must be taken away.
    Viviane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rob and Marion,

    our thoughts are with all of you. In reading the blogs it is hard to imagine the hardship the fam Howe is going through at this moment. We all hope that things will soon turn for the better with Kay, also giving you and Marion some well deserved rest. As the doctors will take care of Kay, please make sure the both of you take care of yourselfs,

    Kind regards, Sikko, Olga & the girls.

    ReplyDelete