Sunday 27 November 2011

Man, This is Hard

I think that you can probably tell from the reduced frequency of these blog entries that we did OK in October. But in the last weeks, and certainly the last days, grief has been weighing on me more and more. I have a load of things that I planned to do today but they have been pushed aside by the overwhelming sense of loss that I yet again feel. I walk past Kay's picture on the wall, the picture that so perfectly captures her, and it seems impossible that she's not here. I know that I've said these things over and again and that repeating them has little value, but I still feel a sense of incredulity every time I realise that she's not here to be hugged, to give me a hug.


I just keep thinking that Kay was so full of life, so fit, so energetic. She wasn't a complainer, she got on with doing stuff, whatever it was that was on her mind. She lived her short life to the full, awake early and immediately busy. The whole day long doing things until she fell asleep, often even before her bedtime out cold on the sofa. She always fought her corner, always wanted to win (even if that meant changing the rules), was always determined. She had so many setbacks but she never complained about her lot, she just got on with doing her best. How can it be that such a wonderful child can lose their life? Why on earth have we not been allowed to see how she would grow up, what she would do with her life?


As time goes by this is one of the main themes that plays in my head. I'm so sure that Kay would have become successful at some kind of sport, hockey probably. She had the physical make-up and fitness for it, the mental drive and determination. Whenever I'm at the hockey club or playing tennis I feel her loss so intensely, I feel that I've lost an entire future that would of been a joy to behold. Even more so because of my three children, Kay was the most different from me. I've never been good at sport, I've never been (and still am not) a gregarious social animal, I've never been so full of the kind of energy and drive that Kay had, that she got from Marion. I recognise myself in Lauren & Nattie, but I could recognise so little of myself in Kay and therefore she was always so interesting and surprising to me. It is of course difficult to know anything about how one's children will turn out, what they are likely to do with their lives, but I feel that I have an idea about Lauren & Nattie, whereas Kay could have done anything. 


I saw a child the other day, a girl with long thick red hair, just like Kay's. I so remember the times that I buried my face in Kay's hair and was amazed by the rich thickness of it, by the colour, by the length. I remember feeling a sense of wonder that a child with such hair could be my child and wondering where she came from. When I saw that child the other day, I wanted to come home and find Kay's hair - I think that when it fell out curing Chemo, Marion put it away somewhere - and I wanted to bury my face in it. I miss her so terribly, painfully, mind numbingly, awfully, inconceivably, infinitely much. I don't know where she came from and I don't know where she's gone. I only know that she's left behind a hole in my life that is simply huge, that she's left behind a father who loves her more than can be described and that the combination of these things is the definition of a broken heart.

7 comments:

  1. The repetiton of your feelings of loss (especially in the written word) have huge value Rob. Don't stop because you think no one is listening. Expressing yourself means you are addressing those most difficult feelings and slowly processing them. Completely as a sideline, you continue to inspire and support those around you. But keep doing this for you. Squiggy n Alison send big hugs n kisses to you, Marion, Lauren n Nattie. Alison misses you all heaps and can't wait to see you alll again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dom's comment,keep expressing yourself. Often you have put into words what I have not been able to. I will read a sentence and a bell goes off saying yes, that is exactly how I feel. You have helped me a great deal in my grief. I understand how you mourn the future that Kay was not able to have on this earth, I mourn the loss of Chip's future as well. We just celebrated Thanksgiving this past week and I still feel the "empty chair" syndrome.......

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob, I'm still here, still reading, still thinking of you all. A little worried about your heart...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still here too.
    Just keep on expressing your thoughts and feelings. Hopefully it helps you to get through the pain. And for you to know that there are many of us out there who hear you!
    Give my love to Marion and your daughters.
    Ciel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can’t think of anything to compare with the realisation that the future has been lost. Even if that future was nebulous, it was the assumption that provided a backdrop to the present - and losing it is one of life's most immense and terrifying experiences, whatever the reason.
    Inevitably, building a new future is painful, because it is built around the gaping hole that caused the need to change the old version. So as you begin to build, your grief and memories of Kay will be included in the new future, where you will find them a proper place, and they will always exist where you can manage them - most of the time.
    When you can’t manage the memories and the grief Rob, share the pain – even if you feel you have said it before, it really doesn’t matter. The power of unvoiced grief is extraordinarily destructive – it needs to be voiced, needs to be shared, which is why your blog pals are still checking to see if you have written (even if one of them takes a few days away from the internet and then discovers you wrote a few days ago!)
    You are all never far from my thoughts. Have a mega virtual hug, take care and much love to all of you.
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since they don't seem to be getting through here is a test one...
    Hope you had a good nights sleep
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete