Thursday 20 October 2011

Fires and Flares

The current period is a difficult one to describe. I suppose that in some way we're moving from a year of acute grief and loss into a period of - merely - chronic pain. At least that's how it feels. The grief that I feel has lost its sense of "first-timeness" and now feels more "settled". I use quotes here because all of these words are approximations to the truth. An example probably is more illustrative:

I was sitting in the car driving home this evening, contemplating fate, as I find myself doing too often these days. I have already said in this blog that, if I were confronted with a situation where I had to fight for my life, these days I feel that I would just rather give up and choose to go to Kay. My thoughts took a different turn this evening. On the way home I was confronted by a truck that had taken a corner too wide and ended up heading directly towards me, on my side of the road. I had to take the necessary evasive action but afterwards my nowadays fatalistic thinking started reviewing the event. I thought that actually I wouldn't want to die in fear, wouldn't want the last thing to go through my mind to be terror or even just plain panic. And then my mind made one of those horrible leaps that it tends to make these days. It asked me if Kay died in fear?

I have to say that for all intents and purposes I think she did. At least by my definition. To me Kay passed away the moment that she entered a coma and the following two weeks were not really part of her life. In the hours before she entered the coma she was terrified. She was having out of body experiences and was frightened, seeing herself standing next to her bed. She was fighting for every breath and was terrified of losing. She was scared of the procedure that would put her into the coma. She was shouting at the doctors to hurry up, she slapped me in the face when I told her to try to be calm. She certainly didn't die quietly, in peace and she didn't face it with my explicit support because I wasn't even compos-mentis enough to know what was going down. Thus, to my mind, Kay died in fear.

I was shocked to the core by this thought. It's the first time that it has occurred to me. My child died in fear. What a terrible realization. What a terrible thing. I'm horrified. I'm sitting here now with tears in my eyes and an awful feeling in my chest. Oh how I would that it could be different. I want neutrinos to travel faster than light so that I can hope to go back in time and change things. To make a different reality...

And this is how the days go, these days. I'm ploughing along through the sh*t of "normal" daily living like the rest of us, trying to deal with global news depression, European debt, Greece laziness, Philips cutbacks and all the rest of the miserable fodder of modern life, when I suddenly get struck by a mental lightening bolt, by a memory of Kay or a thought about Kay. These moments are so difficult to deal with now. 

Last "Kay year" acute grief meant that I was constantly on my guard for being mentally ambushed by terrible or painful thoughts. But in this new "Kay year" my guard has softened. The result is that when I am ambushed the damage seems to hurt so much more. But equally it feels like there's less "space" for me to be floored by it. By this I mean that I feel that now, if someone found me at my desk in tears, they probably wouldn't have quite the understanding that they would have had a year ago. At least, that's how I feel.

I was driving somewhere with Nattie on Sunday afternoon. She'd been kicking her heels all weekend because we had been painting the lounge. So I took her out to help me pick up the boat. I commented to her that she'd been bored all weekend and she replied quite simply that that had happened often since Kay was gone. A spear ran through my heart, a cold rod of steel pierced me from front to back.

And so I have absolutely no idea how to describe these days except to say that we're still living in hell, but maybe it doesn't feel quite so hot. Until the fires flare up, that is. 

5 comments:

  1. Oh Rob,
    I so wish there was something magical to say that could help, that could wave a magic wand and make you feel better.
    This is going to seem a bit strange, but I firmly believe that if Kay was having out of body experiences before she went into the coma, she will not have died in fear. It's difficult to explain, but my belief is that she was already on the way to her after-life at that point, and although she was scared at the last moment of consciousness, the coma will have enabled her to be calm and and relaxed on those final stages of her journey into what we see as death. She knew you were there supporting her, even if there was nothing you could do to bring her back. Rob, you have heard her since then, she isn't scared, she's still with you.
    Please hang in there. You're all still in my mind every day.
    Much love and huge hugs to all
    Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, you did everything you could for Kay all the way. I don't think its beneficial to reflect on the moment of her death, but if you are determined to do so I would observe that she was well protected from fear. She was in the arms of her Mother and Father, and enveloped in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could find a way to offer you some peace when your thoughts take you down these paths Rob. I am with Linda on this one and have a firm belief that Kay would have been aware of the support and the love surrounding her in those final days. Please, please hold onto that thought.
    A big hug being sent over just for you
    Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read your post, I wondered what I could say to help you. Linda's words were a comfort to me and I hope to you also.

    Your friend,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rob, I understand the phenomenom of not having the 'space' to grieve as you did before. People unkindly have the expectation that you just go on. But then very few have felt such a loss. Understand them and forgive them. You have all travelled so far since Kays passing. In some ways perhaps, Nattie has gone furthest. She is an inspiration. Stay inspired to keep moving forward. Be patient with yourself as you are with others. Our prayers are with you always. Ali, Squiggy n Dom.

    ReplyDelete