Thursday 22 April 2010

The Dreaded Munchies

I have discovered a(nother) flaw in my character that previously I’d only suspected: I have a weakness for munching. Mostly it’s something that a) I have under control and b) that is not too noticeable since I’m usually fairly busy and burn a fair amount of energy. Also in normal life I am not presented with the opportunity to munch, or I avoid it. In October 2008 whilst driving down to France I sat in the car feeling rather porky and decided to do something about it. In the next 6 months I gradually lost 10kg due to a combination of restricted intake, healthy eating (thanks to Marion) and increased exercise. I really was quite pleased with the result and even got into a pair of 32” trousers at the start of summer last year – wow!

However, Kay’s situation destroyed my self control. In the period since she has been ill I’ve put back on around 5kg. In the last months I’ve tried do something about the creeping gain, but I’ve not been very successful, partially because Marion is not in the mood to worry about dietary niceties and partially because I’m often just too tired to do the exercise thing.

Since we have been here though, this munching weakness has become a real demon. For the first week I felt permanently hungry and, because I don’t want to put on the Kgs, I was aware of the fact and trying to combat it. This really only made things worse: I was walking around more or less consciously trying to repress the munchies and consciously failing. I did manage to get a couple of bike rides in to burn off some of the calories and I always take the stairs up to Kay’s ward. But still, this is not much compared to the sedentary lifestyle that being in isolation imposes.

This week things have been a little better: I have taken to avoiding the cafeteria and just eating stuff that Marion has brought in. Since she has little interest in shopping, that’s a self regulating mechanism: bread roll & cup-a-soup for lunch, bread & cheese for breakfast. Evening meals are Appie Happie microwave steamed affairs, which are reasonable and reasonably healthy, I suppose. However, a friend who lives locally has introduced us to an excellent Indian restaurant, so we’re trying to avoid developing an addiction in that direction. Fortunately they don’t deliver, so the throttle is the effort of driving into the centre of town and finding somewhere to park.

At the moment I just seem to be getting more tired. It’s quite nice out and it’s my turn to have some time off today, so I could go for a bike ride. But mostly I feel just like curling up on the bed and snoozing, which won’t help with the munchies, the calorie burn or sleeping properly tonight.

And we have weeks of this facing us. I’m dreading the moment when we get back home and I have to face the bathroom scales again. I bet that I’m going to have to do the “drop 10kg” thing again. Damn!








1 comment:

  1. I've been struggling with the munchies for 47 years! Can't remember a time when i didn't loke snacking!

    Lesley x

    ReplyDelete